How to hide a product but keep it buyable

Disha1
3 0 0

Hi,

I want to hide certain products from the shop but keep them still buyable. Unfortunately by clicking "manage" and unchecking "online store" on the create a new product page makes the product un-buyable. 

How to hide & keep it buyable?

The product is a donation product, and we wish to programmatically hide it but still keep it purchasable since that is what Shopify Review team demands.

Have read about a code. Is there a guide available how to do it or some other way to do this?

Many thanks

Replies 6 (6)
Marty
Shopify Staff
444 67 87

Hi, @Disha1.

Thanks for your message, I would be happy to offer you a suggestion for this. You could utilize an app like Locksmith to lock your product behind a password so that it is technically still available in your shop but you need to utilize the password to access and purchase it. 

Please feel free to reach back out here with any further questions, we are always happy to chat! 

Marty | Social Care @ Shopify
- Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know!
- Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
- To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

Disha1
3 0 0

Hi @Marty, thanks alot for this solution, but this is probably not something that we are looking for.

Actually we are trying to build a Donation app and we need to show Donation products on cart page when the user makes a purchase. So the Donation product needs to be hidden on the store and only on cart page when user clicks on the Donate now button, we are showing our Donation products. All of this process is done programmatically and through the Product APIs. We don't want to have Merchants to hide the products after they install our app.

As an app developer is there any way to hide the Donation products programmatically on the store when someone installs our app?

Marty
Shopify Staff
444 67 87

Hi, @Disha1.

Thanks for reaching back out and clarifying that for me. In all honesty, I have limited knowledge as a general support member with the API and how-to questions are out of my support scope. I would recommend touching base in the slack channel/Facebook groups with this, you can find links in your partner dashboard under the support tab, there you will find a link to our specific Partner forums, Facebook group and slack:

I would also recommend checking through our Shopify App development information here, as well as our API product information and Cart API reference

I hope this information will point you in the right direction for a solution to your question, please feel free to reach out anytime! 

sillycube
Shopify Partner
559 14 86

I think you can try:

1. Let the products appear on the online store
  2. Do not set a collection for the product
  3. Hide the product from storefront & search engines with metafield 

BYOB - Build Your Own Bundles, SPO - SEO App to research keywords & edit social link preview
Disha1
3 0 0

Hello,
Thank you for sharing the API references.
We could find a way to hide the products from Search results on the Storefront through metafields. We have not set any collection to the products but the Products still appear on the Catalog (All Products) by default. And we are also able to access the product after hitting the product url.

We have tried to hide the products manually from the Catalog or ask the merchant hide it himself, by excluding it from collections. But the Shopify review team doesn't allow this as a solution.

Is there any way to programmatically hide the products from Catalog and even the products should not be accessible after we hit the url? Can you please share any API reference or some other option/ways to do so?

So, is there a way to hide a product from the store and but keep it buyable? If yes, how? If not, please confirm this, so I can send this post to the review team.

Thanks

Marty
Shopify Staff
444 67 87

Hi, @Disha1.

Thanks for getting back to me with this further context. The only other suggestion I can think of from a support standpoint would be to look into Adding a gift wrap option to your cart page guide. This tutorial essentially adds a checkbox to the cart page, that when checked adds a line item to the cart called ‘gift wrap’ for however much you want to charge. Then, instead of saying ‘gift wrap’ it could say ‘donate’ for example. If this option still doesn't work for your idea, it may be worth reaching out to a Shopify Expert to look into further options. 

Thanks again for reaching out and feel free to reach back out here with any questions about the above information!