Live view

kbaker9247
Tourist
3 0 3

When are they going to make live view usable? It used to work just fine and then they upgraded it and it's not usable at all.

Replies 4 (4)
Ryder
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
450 56 88

Hi, @kbaker9247!

Ryder here, from the Social Care Team at Shopify. Welcome to the Community and thanks for posting! I'm sorry to hear you've been having trouble with getting your Live View operating properly. Are you able to please elaborate on what part of your Live View isn't working as needed?

I just attempted it on my end here without any issues:

21-03-ox1eq-b1btb

I've also taken a look to see if there were any open issues that may be impacting shops' Live Views and couldn't find any. You can find this information specific to your shop on Shopify's Status Page.

If you can clarify what part isn't working for you, as well as provide any screenshots or screen-recordings that may be helpful, I'd be happy to see if I can determine what seems to be causing the issue.

Hope to hear from you soon!

Cheers.

Ryder A. | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

kbaker9247
Tourist
3 0 3
95% of the time it just plain does not work. When it does work it's
extremely slow. It can say I have 6 visitors and when I click on live view
the picture of the world map comes up along with the text but it never shows
the icons of the visitors on the map and trying to switch to the United
States map takes forever and still no icons are displayed showing visitors.
I did a search in the community forum for live view and saw several posts
with people complaining about the same thing. It worked great before but now
is horrible.
kbaker9247
Tourist
3 0 3

95% of the time it just plain does not work. When it does work it's
extremely slow. It can say I have 6 visitors and when I click on live view
the picture of the world map comes up along with the text but it never shows
the icons of the visitors on the map and trying to switch to the United
States map takes forever and still no icons are displayed showing visitors.
I did a search in the community forum for live view and saw several posts
with people complaining about the same thing. It worked great before but now
is horrible.

Ryder
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
450 56 88

I'm sorry to hear about your experience, @kbaker9247. I'd be happy to clarify how the Live view is intended to behave.

Live view shows primary, or raw, data of what is happening at the moment. This can include bot activity, which may result in active acts without visitor sessions being created. If you're seeing a discrepancy between the data of active carts and visitor sessions, I recommend referencing the Online store conversion over time report, along with other reports for more robust and accurate information.

The difference between the live view "active sessions" and the sessions found in your reports is that live view records all page views as they occur, grouping those from the same session together to list the number of active sessions. The keyword here is "active" - meaning that this number could include sessions that started over an hour ago, but that still remain active. In your reports, you'll get our standard "session" model, which is grouped by when the session started.

This model is a bit richer, and it allows to attribute carts to sessions. If a cart is created without an associated session, such as in the case of bot activity where a cart can be created without a session, it will not show up in the Online Conversion reports. The "active session" model won't take carts into consideration in the live view as carts and active sessions are computed independently. Because live view shows the raw data version, bot carts would display here and not in your reports - the bot sessions cannot be attributed to any session when reports are created.

I understand that your concern, however, is not only surrounding discrepancies in reporting. We'd be happy to take a look at your live view and reporting to see if we're able to replicate the issue or determine whether it may be a local matter. Please open a support ticket through our Help Center by logging in and selecting your shop, and one of our Support Advisors would be happy to test this out for you. If we're able to replicate, we can escalate the ticket accordingly. Otherwise, the Support Advisor can submit a feedback request regarding the live view on your behalf!

I hope this helps. Please let me know if there's anything else I can clarify.

Cheers.

Ryder A. | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog