Only had 5 sales - why is this?

Solved
jordicr
Tourist
6 0 0

Hi everyone!

I made a website - https://airbudsnow.com/ - about a couple of weeks about now and I've only had 5 sales come through. At first I was only selling to my home country - New Zealand, but i've since opened up to Australia, US, UK, Germany, France and Sweden (about 3 days ago)

So far over the 2 weeks I've spent about 150 dollars in marketing on facebook ads, quite a few checkouts initiated but only 5 sales. I'm negative in profit. Would anyone have any advice as to why that is?

Cheers,

Jordi

0 Likes
Cal
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
984 103 167

Hey @!

Cal here from Shopify, thanks for reaching out to us. In order to offer insight into why your marketing might not be working, we'd have to know a little more context. Did you conduct some market research that indicated your key markets where those that you mentioned? Did the research establish a demand for the products? What was your chosen target market based on that research? 

Were there behaviors and interests that you identified when you created your marketing personas? Have you considered leveraging those interests by using alternatives to Facebook marketing? What indicated Facebook marketing was the best solution for marketing your products? 

In terms of your site, considering you are a one-product store, I feel it isn't concise enough. For example, is a full-size, full-page banner necessary? Think of the site in terms of user experience, what is the most efficient way to bring your customer from landing to checkout? 

Have you considered creating a logo for your business to enhance the branding

Cal | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

jordicr
Tourist
6 0 0

Hi Cal!

These are awesome points and a lot of it I hadn't done when creating the website. I really just jumped in and have tried to make it work throughout learning so I guess you could say this is my way of learning more or less. My target market, after a bit of analyzing I've come to realize is a very broad one. I started off with literally anyone then narrowed it down to tech interested 16-30 year olds which I believed to be the most acceptable target (although it's currently not showing)

I didn't do much research into the product and I think that is the reason that it's not doing well, because it's not really able to be targetted as easy as some other products that I've thought of since launching.

However the things that you've suggested have given me awesome food for thought and I will have a look into implimenting them - if not in this website, the next.

Regards

0 Likes
Cal
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
984 103 167

This is an accepted solution.

The good news is that it's still not too late to conduct this type of research, but it is vital to do so before you put your liquid capital into something like Facebook marketing. We have some guides on how to develop a marketing plan here. You might find it useful! 

It is never too late to pivot the business and discover who exactly your buyers are. Many businesses discover that who they thought would like their products, were in fact the least likely to buy. And they might find their demographic where they don't expect! 

I feel your business proposition is good, you are offering a low-cost alternative to a premium product. It makes sense. Add further value to this, tell me how long the battery lasts, create some engaging visual content for your branding (photos and videos of the products in use), and you'll soon notice a difference. 

Put yourself in the buyer's shoes, at all times. Have you considered working with bloggers, to review your product? It's a great, cost-efficient way for you to get engaging content for your site (as they produce a review you can use), and get some eyes on your business. 

Cal | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

It could be a varied number of reasons, one of them probably is because you are not receiving a traffic of visitors with intent to shop - or they are not able to choose from your products.

You can install a Social recommendations app; I recommend Rendezvous Recommendations

As a merchant, you’ll be able to convert more of your store visitors into paid customers by offering them relevant recommendations using our AI recommendations engine. 

Our AI shopping assistant helps store visitors to discover, share, and get relevant options on items to buy in your store. You get instant revenue boost, recurring sales and store growth when you offer trusted social recommendations to customers.

You can customize your Rendezvous widget to match the theme, color, and style of your store - and it won’t reduce your page load speed. 

You can also connect your store to Messenger to target your customers and sell more. 

Do install the Rendezvous Social Recommendations App and let me know your thoughts on it.

A Merchant Dashboard - AnalyticsA Merchant Dashboard - Analytics

Rendezvous is AI-powered social recommendations engine - enabling customers to discover products on merchant stores and leading to higher conversion rates.
Over 500,000+ shoppers are already using Rendezvous Recommendations to find products from big brands like - Amazon, Macy’s, Walmart & BestBuy.
jordicr
Tourist
6 0 0

Hi again Cal.

Thank you so much for your very much so valued feedback. I'm having a look at the marketing plan now and very excited to use it on my current and future ventures!

Cheers

0 Likes
jordicr
Tourist
6 0 0

Sorry Cal, one more question...

My marketing is currently targeted to 16-30 year olds, however at least 80% of my ads are reaching the ages bracket of 13-17 (facebook ads showing this with my current marketing) and the other 20% distributed over 18-24 and 25-34 (18-30 with my current targetting). 

So does this mean that at least 80% of my money for ads is going towards 16-17 year olds?

And also, the click through rate is higher on the other demographics (18-24 and 25-34) as well as purchase rate (I think all of my purchases are above age 18)

Is this something to take note of and change and if so, whats the best way to go about it?

Thank you so much!

0 Likes
Samusa
1 0 0

Hi Jordi,

I brought your Airbuds Item on the 17/06/2020 which is now a month ago and have still not received it. Your tracking system doesn't even work and you website is now down!. I either want my money back or some sort of confirmation that it is arriving!!.

0 Likes