Remove unused code

SimplyRen
Tourist
10 0 4

Hi there
Would really appreciated some help on this!

I installed an Instagram app on my store and noticed that it sowed down my store speed so deleted the app immediately, however my store speed is still considerable lower and would like to know how to remove any remaining code from this app?

Thank you

Ren

Replies 5 (5)
JohnCodes
Shopify Partner
134 10 74

Hi @SimplyRen 

You'll want to go through your theme's main files to check if the code for the uninstalled Instagram app still exists.

First, I'd check your theme.liquid file to see if there's any code in there related to the app. You can do CMD + F on Mac (CTRL + F on Windows) which'll let you search the file. You can do a search for Instagram to see if anything shows up. If you don't get any results, then you'll need to start searching other files based on where the Instagram app was displaying.

For example, if it's on every page then it'll likely be in your theme.liquid file. If it only appears on product pages, then I would search your product.liquid file and all sections/snippets within that template. If it was only showing on your Home page then I'd only search the section/snippet files that are needed on your homepage.

I hope this was helpful. If you need any help, please feel free to reach out to our team at speedboostr.com/contact.

Developer at SpeedBoostr (Shopify optimization and dev agency).
Try out our Shopify Analyzer (free performance analysis tool).
Check out Order Automator (app that auto tags + fulfills orders, and more automation)
More Apps: Theme Scientist (A/B testing tool), Tip Jar (add a tip button to your store), File Optimizer (optimize CSS, JS, Liquid)
Tira
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1260 90 212

Hey, Ren. Thanks @JohnCodes for your help! 

My name is Tira and I wanted to add some insight here, too.

Thank you for these details. Removing an app does not remove leftover code. What is the name of the Instagram app that you installed on your store? I searched “Instagram app” on our App Store, but I didn’t find any apps that matched that name. Do you have a link? Let me know so that I can dig into some resources for you. Alongside what @JohnCodes suggested, it might be best to contact the developer directly to assist you with removing the code. 

Online store speed is important, it could help a customer with a slower connection speed have a better experience on your store. Check out our help doc on improving your online store speed and how you can check it, here: Online store speed

I would love to take a look at this together.

Where did you find that this app was affecting your online store speed? Was this in your Shopify Admin? Or did you find this report somewhere else? We have a built-in online store speed report that you can use to check this and you can check it out here. It lists the speed score over time which shows how your score has changed over a selected date range. It includes a section that has a chart of scores and shows any app install or uninstall events. Learn more about it in our help docs here: Speed score over time.

Chat soon,

Tira | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

SimplyRen
Tourist
10 0 4
Hi Tira
Thank you for your speedy response the app in question is called Covet
Pics, since installing the store speed has dropped considerably. I will try
both yours and @JohnCodes recommendations and hopefully will see
some improvements.

Thank you
R
SimplyRen
Tourist
10 0 4
Hi
Thank you for your prompt response.
I will definitely be giving this a try.

Thank you
R
Tira
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1260 90 212

Thanks for letting us know what app you’re using, R.

I looked through our App Store and can see there is an app with “covet-pics” as the extension on the URL. Is this the right app: Instagram Feed + Photo Gallery by Space Squirrel Ltd.?

If it is, I recommend contacting the third-party developer directly by email: support@spacesquirrel.co. I looked at their documentation on their website and they mention that it’s best to connect with them if you want to uninstall the app. You can check out their FAQ here.

Let me know if they’re able to help! 

Tira | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog