Running Out of Ideas! Feedback request please?

Solved
latburn
Tourist
11 0 5

Hello all,

Please could I ask for feedback on my store? I've spent countless hours trying to reduce the ridiculously high bounce rate and low sales. My store is https://homestylewizard.com and here is what I've tried so far:

1- To reduce bounce rate, I 've looked in Google Analytics to see which audience is spending the most time on the site. All have high bounce rates despite some groups converting. I've therefore run campaigns both observation and targeted to these users. My CTR goes up but the bounce high bounce rate and low sales remain. The daily bounce rate can be over 80%!

2- It occurred to me that roughly half the items listed on my store are out of stock at any one time. Previously these were hidden until they returned to stock. I therefore unhid out of stock items and added a pre-order button. I've attached a discount to each of these orders. Whilst I have had 2 pre-order sales in the last 2 days, it's still well below what I'm looking for. 

3- Price checks. Whilst many competitors stock the same items, I remain one of the cheapest on the vast majority of my stock.

4- I've can't see anything wrong with my check-out but an add to cart that's not a Google bot would be nice!

In short, I just don't get it. I've been around a while now and whilst I don't have many reviews, they are all genuinely 5 star.

What am I missing? In short, I'm stuck for ideas now.

Thanks so much to anyone who takes the time to look. 🙂

Pete

Accepted Solution (1)

Accepted Solutions
EcomGeeks
Shopify Partner
1070 143 333

This is an accepted solution.

Hey Pete (@latburn),

Sorry to hear, it sounds like it's been a pretty frustrating experience thus far. I've taken a look through your store, hopefully my feedback will provide some insight as to what is going on.

homestylewizard-01.png

POP UPS
I noticed a lot of things vying for my attention upon landing. I have the cookies pop up, and then the reviews to the left and there is a newsletter sign up at the bottom.. it was too much. I feel this (especially the cookies policy) is causing some of your visitors to click off. When the person first lands we don't want to bombard them with "do this! click this! look at this!" Instead you want to think, okay, what are my top three priorities for this visit? For example, it might be: 1. Make a sale 2. Get a newsletter sign up 3. Have them follow me on social media.

When you are contemplating adding these things to your website, ask yourself, does this help achieve one of these goals or does it distract from one of these goals? The next step is strategically presenting them at the right time, on the right page. 

PRODUCTS
As you know, furniture can be purchased offline in hundreds retail stores as well as online through thousands and thousands of online stores. When a person is searching for a bed or a bookcase in Google, big companies with massive marketing budgets are who is showing up in search results and who you are competing with for customers.

Now, a person can complete IF they give people a reason to purchase from them vs. the other guys. An example of this might be someone who sells locally, their "reason" as to why you should purchase from them vs the other guy is because they are local and a lot of people are passionate about shopping local. In addition to this, they can also get products to their customers faster and can offer incentives such as free local delivery. I would think about all your "whys" and what sets you apart and use that in your marketing and in the text in your store.

You mentioned "roughly half the items listed on my store are out of stock at any one time", this would definitely be causing a high bounce rate.

Another thing that stuck out to me was how difficult it was to browse your store. The images are too large, your visitors have to scroll and scroll and scroll because (on desktop) you can only see two product images at a time.

homestylewizard-02.png

SALES CHANNELS
I’d recommend utilizing Shopify’s sales channels for your social media pages. This is going to allow you to tag products that you post on your social media and then have that tag lead to your store. Here is how to implement it for Facebook and Instagram

SHIPPING
You need to add in an estimated shipping time at checkout. For some people, shipping time can be a deal breaker so they won’t proceed with their purchase without that information.

LOCAL
Sell locally first to get those first customers and to bring in reviews. You can advertise by joining local community groups, Facebook buy & sell pages, joining online trade shows (and in person when you are able).
Make sure to include a business card with every purchase that includes an incentive (such as a percentage off) for their next online purchase. This encourages people to purchase through your online store and that way the next time someone comments on a product you’ve made, they can refer them to your website that they now know you have.

Here is a video on how to create discount codes:

You could also offer incentives such as free local delivery:

If delivery is not an option, or if you want to offer two things, you could offer local pickup as well:

REVIEWS

I would highly recommend that have reviews on the products pages themselves. Positive reviews are very valuable, they add a lot of trust to your store. We did a video showing a free review app you can use and how to set it up:

ENDING
I will leave it at that for now but if you would like to talk to us 1-1, we offer sessions where we take a look at your store, identify the greatest issues holding you back, then provide solutions and advice. You can email us at ecomgeeksco@gmail.com for more information.

We hope our response was helpful, if it was, let us know by giving us a thumbs up and/or marking it as a solution!

Best of luck!

Join our new Facebook Group for Shopify Dropshippers! Winning products, dropshipping advice & more!

Website | Email | YouTube | TikTok | Facebook

View solution in original post

Replies 6 (6)
EcomGeeks
Shopify Partner
1070 143 333

This is an accepted solution.

Hey Pete (@latburn),

Sorry to hear, it sounds like it's been a pretty frustrating experience thus far. I've taken a look through your store, hopefully my feedback will provide some insight as to what is going on.

homestylewizard-01.png

POP UPS
I noticed a lot of things vying for my attention upon landing. I have the cookies pop up, and then the reviews to the left and there is a newsletter sign up at the bottom.. it was too much. I feel this (especially the cookies policy) is causing some of your visitors to click off. When the person first lands we don't want to bombard them with "do this! click this! look at this!" Instead you want to think, okay, what are my top three priorities for this visit? For example, it might be: 1. Make a sale 2. Get a newsletter sign up 3. Have them follow me on social media.

When you are contemplating adding these things to your website, ask yourself, does this help achieve one of these goals or does it distract from one of these goals? The next step is strategically presenting them at the right time, on the right page. 

PRODUCTS
As you know, furniture can be purchased offline in hundreds retail stores as well as online through thousands and thousands of online stores. When a person is searching for a bed or a bookcase in Google, big companies with massive marketing budgets are who is showing up in search results and who you are competing with for customers.

Now, a person can complete IF they give people a reason to purchase from them vs. the other guys. An example of this might be someone who sells locally, their "reason" as to why you should purchase from them vs the other guy is because they are local and a lot of people are passionate about shopping local. In addition to this, they can also get products to their customers faster and can offer incentives such as free local delivery. I would think about all your "whys" and what sets you apart and use that in your marketing and in the text in your store.

You mentioned "roughly half the items listed on my store are out of stock at any one time", this would definitely be causing a high bounce rate.

Another thing that stuck out to me was how difficult it was to browse your store. The images are too large, your visitors have to scroll and scroll and scroll because (on desktop) you can only see two product images at a time.

homestylewizard-02.png

SALES CHANNELS
I’d recommend utilizing Shopify’s sales channels for your social media pages. This is going to allow you to tag products that you post on your social media and then have that tag lead to your store. Here is how to implement it for Facebook and Instagram

SHIPPING
You need to add in an estimated shipping time at checkout. For some people, shipping time can be a deal breaker so they won’t proceed with their purchase without that information.

LOCAL
Sell locally first to get those first customers and to bring in reviews. You can advertise by joining local community groups, Facebook buy & sell pages, joining online trade shows (and in person when you are able).
Make sure to include a business card with every purchase that includes an incentive (such as a percentage off) for their next online purchase. This encourages people to purchase through your online store and that way the next time someone comments on a product you’ve made, they can refer them to your website that they now know you have.

Here is a video on how to create discount codes:

You could also offer incentives such as free local delivery:

If delivery is not an option, or if you want to offer two things, you could offer local pickup as well:

REVIEWS

I would highly recommend that have reviews on the products pages themselves. Positive reviews are very valuable, they add a lot of trust to your store. We did a video showing a free review app you can use and how to set it up:

ENDING
I will leave it at that for now but if you would like to talk to us 1-1, we offer sessions where we take a look at your store, identify the greatest issues holding you back, then provide solutions and advice. You can email us at ecomgeeksco@gmail.com for more information.

We hope our response was helpful, if it was, let us know by giving us a thumbs up and/or marking it as a solution!

Best of luck!

Join our new Facebook Group for Shopify Dropshippers! Winning products, dropshipping advice & more!

latburn
Tourist
11 0 5

@EcomGeeks Thank-you so much for taking the time for such a detailed reply. I think the pop-up issue you witnessed was evidence of me nearing the end of my tether and throwing everything at it at once!

The cookie notice (I believe) is a legal requirement in the UK. However, I'll obtain a far less intrusive one. As for the review pop-up, I have deactivated it and will leave it quietly on the product page. 

You make an extremely good point about reasons to buy from me, and whilst this is displayed in a drop-down on the product page, I'll look for a way to make it more of a theme on my store. It's probably fair to say that almost anyone can build a professional looking store these days and for all it's other issues, I do believe it is aesthetically pleasing. Perhaps I've ended up looking bigger than I am and therefore don't stand out? I'll work on that.

With regard to the images, I've got to say that I've been so focused on the mobile version that I didn't give much regard to big things looked on desktop. I'll address this. When you say it's difficult to navigate, was it just because of the image size or was there something else perhaps in the menu or search?

Thanks again for your help...It just goes to show that when you put so much effort in, that sometimes the obvious can escape you!

Pete

waytoapps
Shopify Partner
733 65 264

Hello @latburn 

Hope you are doing good. Your store looks nice and here are few suggestions.

Add ATC (add to cart) buttons on the products.

Add chatbot for support and you can also analyze customer choices.

You can promote your products with word of mouth strategy. Boost your sales with the app from the  shopify app store   which helps to increase your sales further. 

Add Testimonials or Reviews on the Homepage, which helps in building trust with other visiters.

You can also sell your products on Etsy marketplace as it is very good platform to sell unique, handmade(arts and crafts) and vintage goods. If you are already selling on Etsy store consider our Etsy Integration app in the  shopify app store .

There is no terms and conditions checkbox at checkout. I suggest you to install an app from shopify app store which provides 'I agree to the Terms and Conditions '  before checkout. As it makes easy for the customer to read your terms and policies.

Thanks,
Waytoapps
AiTrillion
Shopify Partner
4161 244 729

Hello @latburnThis is AiTrillion- an All-in-one Marketing Platform on Shopify. Here are some suggestions that you can work on:

- Increase the viewport of your store.

- Make sure the header is displayed correctly. 

AiTrillion_0-1622018391061.png

Add Web Push Notifications are clickable rich content messages sent to the customer’s device by a website or a web app. It can be delivered to your customer’s device, mobile or desktop, even when he is not on your website. It can be used in retargeting with push notifications including browse abandonment, retargeting users abandoning the shopping cart, activating dormant users with offers, retaining users with personalized content, and more. You can send back in stock and price drop alert notifications to bring customers back to your store.

-  For getting more conversions and sales you can target your customers by sending automated emails that help to improve the relevancy and timeliness of your campaigns. You can use triggers and workflows to automatically send messages to consumers after they take a specific action. For some reason unknown to you, they leave without making a purchase but with email automation, you can make sure that this user receives an email shortly after they abandoned their cart, reminding them of what they left behind and asking if they need help completing their purchase. In this case, email marketing automation turns a missed opportunity into an opportunity to build a stronger relationship and make a sale.

If you would like to implement the above features/ customer engagement or marketing tools in your store you can install the all-in-one Shopify app AiTrillion. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. 

Sachin D | Shopify Growth Expert @ AiTrillion

- Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know!
- Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
- 10+ Years of eCommerce experience.
- 1400+ Stores Designed on Shopify.
- All in One Marketing App on Shopify AiTrillion Marketing Automation
- 13+ Shopify Apps launched on app store.
EcomGeeks
Shopify Partner
1070 143 333

Hey Pete @latburn,

Glad to hear our response was helpful.

Great job on the updates so far, the cookie policy is much better and I appreciate you reeling back on the pop-ups, much more user-friendly! Well done!

In response to your comments:

It's probably fair to say that almost anyone can build a professional looking store these days and for all it's other issues, I do believe it is aesthetically pleasing. Perhaps I've ended up looking bigger than I am and therefore don't stand out? I'll work on that.

Yes, it's true - anyone can pop up a store now a days. There is a lot of caution when online shopping (and rightly so). People want to see social proof (reviews) and will check your social media accounts. There is also a lot of competition, especially in a crowded space like furniture. There is a saying that is "be the first, the best or different". You said you have the best pricing, so that is great. You can also be different by offering things like free local delivery and exceptional customer service (which will also make you the best).

When you say it's difficult to navigate, was it just because of the image size or was there something else perhaps in the menu or search?

The image size is a big one (on desktop only, it looks good on mobile) but your navigation and filters are also an issue. If I go to Furniture type > Beds. I should be able to filter by size "King" "Queen" "Double" etc. I would suggest looking at well-known furniture brands websites and take a look at how they are organizing their products.

If you want to do a mega-menu, we have a video on how to do that:

All the best!

Addyz
Pathfinder
191 4 23

Hi @latburn 

Hi, 

After review of you store, I will advise you to install some social proof apps on the store. Most of the buyers will not buy if they did not found the site authentic. For first time buyer's you have to win their trust and social proof are great way to achieve that.

Also, you have not added any push notification app pan your store.Push notifications have high conversion rate. Most of the visitors just leaves after adding product to cart without purchasing it. Push notifications are great way to remind them of their abandoned cart and nudge them to complete the purchase.

You are really missing out with this core functionality which could easily recover some lost sales for you.

There are plenty of app on appstore which are offering push notification either for free or for very reasonable price.

I will recommend https://apps.shopify.com/cartbite

This one is offering abandoned cart ,back in stock and price drop notification on push and emails. 

If this is helpful please up vote the answer so that other merchants can get benefit from it too

Addyz is ad optimization and automation platform for facebook and Instagram ads. Addyz allow store owners to create proven campaign strategies and branded catalogues to increase ad efficiency and boost sales