FROM CACHE - en_header

Sales Tax - Gross Sales by County

msaltzman
Tourist
7 0 4

Hello, Ive noticed that Shopify will tell you the amounts they believe you owe in tax broken down by county/state. They separate the state from the county taxes as well. 

My issue is this: 1. New York State (The State Im dealing with primarily) doesn't want you to tell them how much tax you owe-- they want to know your gross taxable sales PER COUNTY, and then they will tell you how much you owe them. So, the way Shopify is delivering the information (taxes due per county, and one combined bucket for all the state taxes) requires me to have to reverse engineer the gross sales on a county-by-county basis (and the tax rates vary), and somehow recombine the state taxes they separated out back into each county line-- a laborious feat, which frankly, is basically impossible at scale.

If Shopify told me the gross sales at a county-level that would solve the problem... OR If Shopify line itemed the county tax due and the corresponding state tax due for that countys sales-- that would at least be easier to reverse engineer. 

Has anyone seen software/app/or a good way to quickly reverse engineer Shopifys tax reports into something that would be easier to file with?  

Replies 20 (20)
Sarah_Sorrentin
3 0 0

Hi, I'm curious if you ever found a way to manage this? I'm having the same issue now and can't figure out the best way to work through sales tax calculations.

msaltzman
Tourist
7 0 4

Hey Sarah, I actually just sent this to Shopify directly. 

Their recommendation (for now) was to export the data -- and that might put the information in a more useful format (possibly with gross sales) for use of filing NYS Sales Tax [I have yet to try this, but will be trying this weekend with the tax due monday). They also acknowledged that formatting the information differently for NYS Sales Tax collection was now on their radar as a useful thing to adjust, so hopefully in the future itll be formatted better for us. Id also suggest using the 'contact Shopify' function to reiterate the issue, as I would guess the more people that do that the higher the priority they may give to this adjustment. The email they replied to me from was support@shopify.com, though may want to start by submitting through the website here: https://help.shopify.com/en/questions#/contact.  

Best of luck,

Mike

farmstand
Tourist
5 0 0

I'm having the same issue with the pos.  I called support about this same issue and received a snooty response from Angela unfortunately.  Normally Shopify has excellent support.  She said we need to export huge excel files and retrieve the data and either manually or try automatically to upload it into quick books.  I told her I'm trying to do less work than I'm currently doing, not more, and she told me I should use an accountant that has "more experience than I do."  I've owned my business for 14 years, even a basic old school cash register will break out the "taxable sales" in a line item.  That's what the Indiana Department of revenue wants, taxable sales!  I can't believe it's not available.  I have no desire to buy an app to give me information I should already be getting.  Please let me know if anyone finds a solution.

Lstice
3 0 0

Oklahoma has the same method, my guess is that we are not the only states that are like this. 

Trendylisa
3 0 0

Did you ever find a solution to this?

farmstand
Tourist
5 0 0

How to figure Sales Tax Taxable Sales

To figure taxable sales take the amount of tax collected and divided by your tax rate.  For instance in Indiana it's  .07 for sales tax and .08 for food and beverage.
To find your tax collected go to:
Analytics
Reports
Finances
Taxes
Filter by “last month”
Trendylisa
3 0 0

Thanks for trying to help.  I understand how to figure it out.  I am looking for a report that shows the total sales,  taxable sales and the COUNTY in which the sale was made.  The tax report that you recommended is the only report which shows the COUNTY in which the sale was made.  However,  that report does not show the sale amount.  

I am surprised that this is not something everyone needs in order to pay their sales tax.  In NEW YORK,  it's necessary to pay the tax by the county and there's no report that shows this.  

farmstand
Tourist
5 0 0

There's no report that shows that on Shopify.  My choices were to buy an app, upgrade to super expensive Shopify, or figure the amount backwards by dividing the tax collected by the tax rate.  I chose the later.

Trendylisa
3 0 0

I was told the exact same thing which is CRAZY!!!  I know,  I have been doing that way also.  I can't imagine that all the business owners using Shopify are doing all this manual work.  Maybe they have accountants to do it for them lol?   Thanks for your help.  The shopify person I was speaking to submitted the request to see if they can edit the report.  Fingers crossed I guess.  Thanks again.

msaltzman
Tourist
7 0 4
Yes, to further clarify, our problem is that we need to report the gross
sales PER county (note: county rates vary). But Shopify only gives the
AMOUNT DUE per County. While this can be reverse-engineered on a county
basis, its a hassle. A hassle that many shop owners may struggle with-- my
solution was: Pull the data, put it in a spreadsheet, add the county tax
rate to the state tax rate, and take the tax due -- divide that by the
combined county/state tax rate to get the gross sales for that line/county.

This is a silly amount of work to push onto shop owners in states like mine
vs just adding a gross sales line to the data available.
BetterReports-C
Shopify Partner
28 0 1

Hi @msaltzman 

Claudia here from Better Reports.

I believe our app Better Reports can help you with this. We can prepare a tax report showing the Sales metrics by tax names in their unique combinations (both state and county).

Screen Shot 2021-12-09 at 12.51.59.png

In addition to this, Better Reports has more than 60 built-in reports available out of the box that cover many common use-cases for merchants. You can schedule reports to run at set frequencies to your email or Google Drive or export the reports in CSV, Excel or PDF format.

I encourage you to install Better Reports and start your free 14-day trial and I'll be happy to set this up for you.

Let me know how you go, and feel free to reach out if you have any further questions.

Disclaimer: I am part of the Better Reports support team

j_medina
3 0 0

I installed better reports. How can I create the report that you showed @BetterReports-C ? Any help would be appreciated, thank you!

BetterReports-C
Shopify Partner
28 0 1

Hi @j_medina 

Thanks for starting your Better Reports 14-day free trial!

I believe you received a couple of tax reports from us this week. 

Please don't hesitate to contact us if you have any additional questions or if you need help with other reports!

CACTUSCREEK
2 0 0

RIGHT NOW THAT BREAKS IT DOWN INTO COUNTY AND STATE STILL FOR EXAMPLE  IN NYS YOU PAY 4% STATE AND AN ADDITIONAL % FOR COUNTY AND INSTEAD OF COMBINING THEM INTO THE TOTAL PERCENT PER COUNTY ITS SEPRATE 

EX. WARREN COUNTY IS TOTAL 7% (4 FOR NYS AND 3 FOR COUNTY) 

WHEN WE FILE OUR TAXES WARREN COUNTY IS AUTOMATICALY AT THE 7% AND SHOPIFY HAS IT SET UP WHERE WE HAVE TO FIGURE ALL THAT OUT SEPRATLY BECAUSE THEY SEPARTE NYS AND COUNTY. I HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO FIND A SOLUTION TO THIS YET 

msaltzman
Tourist
7 0 4

Another Issue: Inaccurate labeling of jurisdictions. Shopify, its not Richmond County. Its Staten Island, which is in the New York City tax jurisdiction. Same for Queens City, Queens County, New York County etc... 

Bad enough that the gross sales STILL aren't there after raising this issue years ago. The activity on this thread makes it clear many people are struggling with this. Asking for gross sales to a county/jurisdiction is not a big ask at all. Why are we left with a pitiful half spreadsheet that both doesn't provide the information we actually need to file taxes, and has these kinds of basic inaccuracies years after this issue has been raised. 

I dont think the solution is a 'Better Reports' app that we pay for. I think the solution is Shopify offers the information we are asking for, which they have available to them, but which they are not providing to us for no apparent technical or logistical reason. 

I dont appreciate that a process that should take 15 minutes is taking me 1-2 hours every quarter. 

msaltzman
Tourist
7 0 4

Yeah, paying $40/month so you can tell me what my gross taxes are for a jurisdiction-- yeah ok. Pure Absurdity. 

CanineAthletes
Tourist
4 0 1

Same issue here. It gets worse every year as my business scales. Simply allowing us to Edit Columns on the Tax Report to add in gross sales would likely solve this problem. Instead I have hours worth of work googling New York State cities to determine which county they are in. Brutal.

CACTUSCREEK
2 0 0

What I’ve been having to do which is more steps and more annoying but I have to export all my orders from that quarter and sort by state to remove all my

non tax orders then I can break it down by county etc it’s annoying but it’s what’s been working for me. I use an excel spreadsheet to reorganize everything 

Lstice
3 0 0

The app I use is oly $9/month and gives me the report I need. Report Pundit is the app.