FROM CACHE - en_header

Sales Tax

Solved
Ericpumper
2 0 1

Does anyone know how to charge sales tax on all variants. It seems like I have to allow sales tax individually for each variant. Is there a way to do this for all products and variants with one click? 

Accepted Solution (1)

Accepted Solutions
Julie
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1109 106 327

This is an accepted solution.

Hi, @Ericpumper!

Julie here from Shopify Support.

The easiest way to apply sales tax to all of your products and variants is through the bulk editor. Similar to a spreadsheet, the bulk editor is a tool that allows you to edit multiple products and their variants at once from your Shopify admin. 

To use the bulk editor, here's what you'll need to do: 

1. Head on over to Products and select the master checkbox above your list of products.
  2. Make sure that you choose the option, "Select all 50+ items from your store".
  3. Select Edit products > Add fields. You'll notice a a Pricing section, where you can then select Charge taxes.
  4. There isn't a master checkbox above the Charge taxes column, so checking off each box can be tedious. To make the process quicker, you can use a keyboard shortcut to apply the change to all of your products and variants at one. 

Aside from the bulk editor, you could export your products to a CSV file, where you will be able to edit them using a spreadsheet. Here, you'll just need to edit the Variant taxable column, simply changing the value from "False" to "True". If you're comfortable with Google Sheets or Excel, then this option would be worth considering. Once you've edited your products, you'll just need to save the file and then import the products CSV into your store again, where they will automatically update.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any questions. 

Julie | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

View solution in original post

Replies 3 (3)
Julie
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1109 106 327

This is an accepted solution.

Hi, @Ericpumper!

Julie here from Shopify Support.

The easiest way to apply sales tax to all of your products and variants is through the bulk editor. Similar to a spreadsheet, the bulk editor is a tool that allows you to edit multiple products and their variants at once from your Shopify admin. 

To use the bulk editor, here's what you'll need to do: 

1. Head on over to Products and select the master checkbox above your list of products.
  2. Make sure that you choose the option, "Select all 50+ items from your store".
  3. Select Edit products > Add fields. You'll notice a a Pricing section, where you can then select Charge taxes.
  4. There isn't a master checkbox above the Charge taxes column, so checking off each box can be tedious. To make the process quicker, you can use a keyboard shortcut to apply the change to all of your products and variants at one. 

Aside from the bulk editor, you could export your products to a CSV file, where you will be able to edit them using a spreadsheet. Here, you'll just need to edit the Variant taxable column, simply changing the value from "False" to "True". If you're comfortable with Google Sheets or Excel, then this option would be worth considering. Once you've edited your products, you'll just need to save the file and then import the products CSV into your store again, where they will automatically update.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any questions. 

Julie | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

Ericpumper
2 0 1
Thank you 🙂
JuliaMeyers
2 0 0

Hi @Julie 

My accountant is telling me that I need to be collecting 10% sales tax on ALL website sales (this is the city/county/state sales tax rate of MY location).

I have selected all products (as described in the previous thread) to have sales tax applied but is this going to apply to all regions/states? I am testing a shipping address out of state and do not see that the sales tax is being applied. Is there another step that I need to take?

Thank you so much!