FROM CACHE - en_header

store transfer

christymac
1 0 0

Hi, I had a store created for me but the person created it with the domain name spelled differently. Can I just change the name of the store created for me into the original domain name? I don't need two stores. My original store has my tax id number and license attached to it. Can someone tell me how to fix this please?  Thanks

Replies 2 (2)
Moira
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1002 135 166

Hey @christymac,

I'll be happy to help you out with this!

The domain that was spelled incorrectly, was this a custom purchased domain or the myshopify URL that is created when you first open up a Shopify account? At this time it’s not possible to change or remove the .myshopify.com domain name associated with your store. It is automatically created based on the store name you gave when signing up for the service originally.

Custom Domain

In saying that, there is a workaround. Do you currently have a custom domain associated with either store? Having a custom domain name is a step we would highly recommend as it adds a level of trust and sends a strong signal that you’re an established business to your customers, it's a core part of your brand's identity essentially.

Once you buy a custom domain or connect an existing custom domain, your customers will not see your .myshopify.com URL, as long as you set your custom domain as your primary domain. Your .myshopify.com URL would only be visible to you or any staff when logged into the Shopify admin.

When you buy a domain through Shopify, your domain is automatically configured to be the website address that’s displayed to customers. Check out this guide below which takes you through the steps on purchasing a custom domain through Shopify:

If you have already purchased a custom domain through Shopify and would like to transfer it to a different Shopify store then you can follow the instructions below:

Choosing a business name and purchasing a custom domain is one of the seven steps in this article on building a brand from scratch. I suggest having a read to see what other areas you could work on! Have you thought about designing a logo? It’s the face of your company and could potentially be everywhere that your brand exists.

Transfer your information

In saying that, if it's important for you to have the pre-built store migrated to your original store, you'll be able to transfer some of the information following our guide on backups and duplications:

In that guide, you'll see that that the following information is available to be backed up via a CSV file:

• Products

• Customer

• Orders

• Gift card codes

• Discount codes

• Financial data

You will also need to download a copy of the pre-built theme to your computer so you can re-upload it to your original store. Theme downloads don't include images so you would need to re-add images separately:

I would highly suggest keeping the pre-built store active to save you a lot of time and effort in transferring data to your original store. You are able to add your tax ID number and license to your new store and then have your original store closed.

If you have any further questions please feel free to thread those below!

Moira | Social Care @ Shopify
- Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know!
- Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
- To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

kelvinpeter
Pathfinder
155 0 9

The domain that was spelled incorrectly, was this a custom purchased domain or the myshopify URL that is created when you first open up a Shopify account? At this time it’s not possible to change or remove the .myshopify.com domain name associated with your store. It is automatically created based on the store name you gave when signing up for the service originally.

Buy PreMade Dropship Stores.Check Dropship-empire.com
We Help Shopify Customers to Sell Online.
Hit Like If My Reply Helpful. Click Accept as Solution If Our Reply Answered Your Question!