Traffic, but no sales!

TLeslie01
2 0 0

I've had my store up for about a month. Since then I've had two sales, both from people that I know. I get visitors to my store only when I'm actively running ads on Facebook and Instagram, but no sales. I've implemented a few strategies such as trust badges, a blog and an About Us section on the website. I'm not sure what else to do. Ads are expensive when I'm not making any sales so I'm hesitant to keep running them if the visitors aren't going to purchase anything. SEO is in place. However, we're competing with a couple of Australian companies with similar names even though my website and Facebook comes up on the first page of Google. I know I can improve the metadata for each product on Google, which is a work in progress. Still, putting in that work and not having conversions seems like a waste. 
I'm actively running a Free Shipping campaign to draw people in and that doesn't seem to be doing anything. I feel like my product photos and descriptions are good. There are other boutiques around me that have similar set ups and they do not have any issues making sales so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Any advise would be greatly appreciated! 

www.BlueKangarooClothing.com

0 Likes
EcomGeeks
Shopify Partner
1049 142 342

Hey @TLeslie01,

Sorry to hear that you've been spending on ads with no return. When you get high traffic and no sales it either means you are getting the wrong kind of traffic (not your target audience) or there is something within your store that is turning people away (product prices, shipping time, shipping cost, a site error etc.). I've taken a look through your store, hopefully my feedback will provide some insight as to what is going on.

screencapture-bluekangarooclothing-2021-07-09-10_10_53.png

PRODUCTS
As you know, kids clothing can be purchased offline in hundreds retail stores as well as online through thousands and thousands of online stores. When a person is searching for a onesie or kids swim trunks in Google, big companies with massive marketing budgets are who is showing up in search results and who you are competing with for customers.

Now, a person can complete IF they give people a reason to purchase from them vs. the other guys. An example of this might be someone who sells locally, their "reason" as to why you should purchase from them vs the other guy is because they are local and a lot of people are passionate about shopping local. In addition to this, they can also get products to their customers faster and can offer incentives such as free local delivery.

The fact that you source from USA small businesses is definitely a differentiating factor that will set you apart. I would think about all your "whys" and what sets you apart and use that in your marketing and in the text in your store.

FAVICON
I’d recommend adding a favicon so that your visitors can find you quickly when they have multiple tabs open in their browser. We did a video on how to upload a favicon that you can watch here:

POWERED BY SHOPIFY
This is completely optional but if you’d like to remove the text “Powered by Shopify” at the bottom, here is how to do it:

LOCAL
I recommend starting local to get those first few customers and bring in reviews. You could offer incentives such as free local delivery:

If delivery is not an option, or if you want to offer two things, you could offer local pickup as well:

With everything you do locally, make sure to include a business card with a discount for their next online order. This will create awareness that you have an online shop. Here is how to create a discount code:

I would highly recommend that you encourage your customers to leave a review on the products they purchase. Positive reviews are very valuable, they add a lot of trust to your store. Here is a video on how to add a free review app to your store:

PAID ADVERTISING
Here are a few tips to help you with your paid ads:

1. When working with influencers, don’t be blinded by numbers. A large following does not mean success. Be cautious of bringing in “general traffic”, you want an influencer that is in your niche.
  2. Remember that every social platform has a primary user demographic. You want to create profiles and run ads on whichever platform your target demographic spends the most time. Check Social Sprout for the 2021 Social Media Stats.
  3. Target your ads. Do not make your ranges to broad, know your target audience and dial in to reach exactly who you intend to reach. Remember, high traffic is not a good thing if it’s the wrong traffic.

I will leave it at that for now but if you would like to talk to us 1-1, we offer sessions where we take a look at your store, identify the greatest issues holding you back, then provide solutions and advice. If you would like to book a session, you can do so here: https://calendly.com/ecomgeeks/1-1-session

We hope our response was helpful, if it was, let us know by giving us a thumbs up and/or marking it as a solution!

Best of luck!

Join our new Facebook Group for Shopify Dropshippers! Winning products, dropshipping advice & more!

Website | Email | YouTube | TikTok | Facebook

0 Likes
TLeslie01
2 0 0

Hi EcomGeeks! 

Thanks for your feedback. I take all advice seriously as I'm here to learn! 

Based on your feedback, there are a few new things that I can implement, a few things I can't, and a few things I will be waiting to try until later down the road. 

Favicon has been on my list since launch and is an easy fix. However, I don't see it as being a valuable addition to create conversions. From my experience, customers don't care and don't notice that little icon. For me it's more of a "nice to have" rather than an immediate need that makes or breaks sales. 
Same for the "powered by shopify" wording at the bottom of my website. I will be removing it in the near future, but I don't think what platform my website is run through is a make or break sales decision for my customers. 

I would love to offer local delivery or pickup, and I will be next year for sure. Currently I am working full time while undertaking this endeavor so leaving my house to make deliveries isn't an option. I could do local pickup, but it would be from my house and I don't see that as being a professional way to conduct business. If I had a storefront, that would be another story. I know of a few other local boutiques that offer local pickup from their brick and mortars. 
My goal next summer is to be present at the local craft fairs and farmer's markets. Unfortunately, during the craft fairs and farmer's markets this year I was too pregnant to be standing in the sun for four hours. There are a few inside craft fairs in the fall that I can partake in, and I think it will help my marketing and sales to be able to showcase my inventory in person that way. 

I have an offer of free shipping over orders of $50 as an incentive. I would be fine offering discount codes to local customers to get them coming back, if I could get those customers... 
I've asked for feedback on the two purchases that have already been made and haven't gotten anywhere. One of them did post a couple of pictures of their kid in the clothes and I reposted that to my Facebook page. It doesn't seem to have helped sales any though. 

I have no interest in using Influencers, as they typically require a fee to repost anything. That's not an investment I'd be comfortable making right now. I also don't know of any influencers in my niche market. 

My Facebook and Instagram ads have been targeted to a specific age range and "type" - meaning parents and grandparents of kids of a certain age. I'm not sure how social media sites know who has kids and who doesn't - meaning I'm not sure how they get this information when it's not specifically asked for on a person's profile, but when looking at the analytics, they seem to have targeted the correct audiences. I get visitors from those ads no problem, just not the conversions. 

I have a few ideas now on changes to make on the website - including removing my main photo and adding some custom marketing photos with a more specific call to action on the side. I will also be presenting my blog higher up on the main page and more product photos as well. Hopefully this will help. 
I will also be utilizing Shopify behavior reports more to understand where people are dropping off the site and rectify the problem at the source. 

Again, I appreciate your feedback and I hope some of the changes I make will help! 

0 Likes