Very very low converstion rate - I'm befuddled

commercenow
4 0 0

My shop is running a 0.1% conversion rate currently.

I've done pricing research and I'm 2-5% lower than the standard.
My site speed is showing up at 50%. I'll work on cleaning up my tag manager, but that's only robust because I was trying to see what's going on with users. 
I'm aware my homepage needs work, I originally saw this as an impulse buy on the product page, but I'll add a hero image and some trust items.

At this point, I'm starting to think there's something wrong with the checkout flow, but since Shopify blocks access to GTM, I can't see where people are dropping off. 

ANY insights would be welcome, appreciated, and corrected in short order. 

easysofacovers.com

Replies 4 (4)

Lana
Shopify Staff (Retired)
849 77 108

Hello @commercenow!

I understand that this can be frustrating, especially when starting out.

I think you have done a really good job of putting everything together so far, but I also think you're on the right track with your thoughts about working on the homepage.

The homepage is very important, as your customers will form their first impressions about your store there. A well put together homepage is not only helpful for ease of navigation, but it also helps build up trust with your customers.

You can start by adding a section following these steps here which would include additional information about your store and it's background, i.e. established in 'x year'. This adds to the personality of the store, and gives your homepage an overall more finished and professional look.

Here, I have a Shopify Blog article featuring some Homepage Design Ideas.

I know you have some concerns about your checkout flow - could you please check your Orders > Abandoned Checkouts and see if any orders landed there? Usually, if there is a checkout issue, this is where you will find orders that failed - and if you click into them, and scroll down to the Timeline section, it will explain exactly what the issue was (i.e. payment gateway error).

Lastly, I want to share some additional Conversion Rate Optimization Strategies in this Blog article here - have a look at this and see what you could apply to your store, if there is something that you haven't tried already. 

Lana | Social Care @ Shopify
-Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

commercenow
4 0 0

Hi Lana, 

Thank you for the response. I have as many abandoned carts as I do sales. I sent several thousand targeted keyword visitors here at unprofitable prices. 

It is frustrating that I don't have any visibility as to what they are doing after they enter checkout and I don't know what to fix there. 

I may have to pay someone to get better product and marketing images for me, but that's my last thought. Perhaps I can expand my product line as I only have 7 main products. I'm not sure that just bumping up my homepage is going to make that much of a difference. I know that the adspend is in the 10s of thousands for my direct competitors. I'm just befuddled. 

Lana
Shopify Staff (Retired)
849 77 108

I understand what you're saying.

Regarding your product images, I think they look great and they nicely represent your products - I like how they show what the covers look like when they are not stretched out on the sofas, it sets a good expectation as to what you will see when you receive the product.

Regarding the abandoned checkouts, have you had a chance to scroll down to the Timeline section, and see if any particular errors are highlighted there?

This would tell us a little bit more about the checkout and if there really are any issues there. 

Lana | Social Care @ Shopify
-Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

commercenow
4 0 0

Nothing on the timeline. Wishing I had access to see what's happening during checkout that's dropping. I'm going to change a few settings on add to cart after reviewing the process as most orders require multiple quantities of our items on a page, perhaps folks were getting hung up there.