where am I going wrong? getting traffic but no sales, can someone please give me an honest feedback?

Solved
QueenB
Tourist
13 0 2

I have had 1000+ visitors on my store this past week, and have made zero sale. don't know what I'm doing wrong.
Can someone take a look at my store and give me any feedback please? I would greatly appreciate it.

Here's the website 

its a bookstore, but not a traditional book store, we sell our books in mystery boxes. 

Accepted Solutions (3)

Accepted Solutions
Shay
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1018 160 211

This is an accepted solution.

Hi @QueenB 

Thank you for sharing your store with us! I understand you are struggling to make sales even though you have great foot traffic on your site. I did take a look at your store and I can hopefully provide some constructive feedback that might help you close your sales. 

First thing we want to do when we see a lot of traffic and not as many sales is to make sure that the customer flow is not broken anywhere. Are customers able to make it through the entire checkout without any issues. You want to test in mobile, desktop and tablet (if you have one) to make sure of this. Sometimes issues can appear in only one type of device and not another. I did test through my laptop using the Chrome browser, and there were no issues. 

If we are able to confirm that the checkout flow is working as expected, we then want to look at the customer experience on the store. Here are some of the things I noticed!

• I really enjoy your theme that you are using. it is unique, engaging and has a lot of flow to it. The design of it works well with your store and brand.
  • I think you have the right amount of content for your homepage and on your product pages. 
  • There are some consistency issues with the formatting of text on the website.
  • There are empty image placeholders on the home page. 
  • Certain features of your theme are enabled that may not be needed for your kind of store.
  • There is a lot of urgency happening, but I feel it is too much.
  • There are duplicate links in the footer of your store to the refunds page and terms and conditions page. 

I'll show you what I am seeing and areas that I think can be worked on. My over-all impression is that the framework you have is great. It just needs to be tightened up a bit to carry that over to your customers! From the home page, these are my recommendations or things to consider:

31-34-53724-65174

1: The formatting of the text in your menu and in some areas of your site switches from capitalized to non capitalized. Either option is fine, but you will want to make sure that this is consistent across the entire website. This is important for showcasing a professional store. 

2: From the homepage there are no less than 3 prompts about free shipping. Free shipping is AWESOME and definitely something to promote. I don't think it needs to be all over the homepage though. I personally would get rid of the dark banner at the very top of the page as it also overlapped your header when I looked at it on mobile view. 

3: The compare option is not needed for your site. You offer a small set of options that don't require comparing of features. I would disable this or remove it if you can. 

4: Another consistency issue I noticed was that some of the products just show "Sale" and some show an actual discounted percentage. Either is a great option again, but I would choose one and make that the consistent experience for your customers. 

I also noticed that there were some empty image placeholders, specifically on the slideshow near the bottom of your store:

31-41-91810-92883

From the product page, here are my recommendations:

31-44-68240-64994

1: Source higher quality images for your product images. The images you are using look great on mobile or smaller screens, but since the image size is quite large on the desktop view, the image gets blurry and out of focus. Low quality images can definitely deter buyers from closing the sale.

2: I don't believe you need these urgency prompts to encourage customers to checkout. Also, keep in mind that if the information being shown in those urgency prompts is not actually live or correct, that can be considered a deceptive or malicious practice. If they do not actually track that information live, I would disable them and review the app store for an up to date app that can offer that function with live data. Since your items are not a "flash" item or an item driven by urgency, I don't feel that these are necessary and are instead a bit intimidating.

3: While I can understand the desire to showcase the accepted payment methods for your items, this is not required. A well put together store is expected to accept all major credit cards and doesn't need to have that on every product page. You have this information on your store footer, so I would remove it from your product pages. 

I hope this review helps you! If you have any questions or thoughts on my feedback please let me know. I am here to help you out as much as I am able.

-Shay

Shay | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

View solution in original post

PageFly
Shopify Partner
2476 340 1659

Hi @QueenB 

Nice store niche, I am really impressed. Hope you will get some sales soon.

I have some suggestions below, hope they can help:

HOME PAGE

- Improve page speed, I have checked your store on Google page speed, it scores 65 on Desktop and 12 on Mobile and the main reason is the Image. I recommend you use image optimization tools to reduce the image weight. We have some recommended tools here (they are free, also you can find some more tips on optimizing page speed):  https://pagefly.link/xQKRAfpQ#01_Optimize_image_loading_times

- Find the images with same style: Currently they look like a random you pick from the Internet, they don't tell much about your store, your brand and the box

PageFly_0-1622522418304.png

- Though we need to reduce the image's weight for better page speed, it is not recommended to use low quality image and default image. Somehow it will make your store looks like it's under construction.

PageFly_1-1622522814553.png

- Add a Shop now button here: it will remind the customers of browsing the category and shop for their box

PageFly_2-1622522900086.png

PRODUCT PAGE

- I see that you are applying FOMO here but since the product is on sale, and many other people are looking at the product => it's better to show scarcity rather than show that 8 is sold in the last 24 hours => show that only so many left in stock and they should buy now before it's out of stock

Or before the sales ends. A countdown timer might help. Our page builder PageFly has countdown timer to add without coding and we also have Free plan (no time limit) if you want to try personalize your product page. 

PageFly_3-1622523005849.png

CART PAGE

- I don't know if you have many abandon carts but I found an inconsistent message: from Home page I know free shipping on every order but when I landed on cart page, it tells me Free shipping on all orders over $75 => If I were a shopper, I would be disappointed, losing my motivation to buy and will leave.

PageFly_4-1622523221397.png

I hope those feedbacks might help you. If they do, please give me a 'like'

Thank you so much in advance and Have a great day!

----

We recently release a new channel “Ecom Learning With PageFly” in which we provide you with actionable insights into building your own eCommerce business, including everything from Business Ideation, Product Research, Brand Building to proven eCommerce Marketing Strategies, Store Design and Conversion Rate Optimization Strategies.

The first video about picking winning Dropshipping products in June 2021 is out now! We're here to help you thrive in the eCommerce world, one video at a time! Let's check it out.

PageFly- Advanced Shopify Page Builder - Empowering 100.000+ active merchants.

Check our Evergreen List of Best Platforms To Sell Online.

AiTrillion
Shopify Partner
4161 244 729

Hello @QueenBThis is AiTrillion- an All-in-one Marketing Platform on Shopify. Here are some suggestions that will help you to drive conversions in your online store:

- Increase the viewport of the store. It's the area one can view while browsing. Currently, it's very small.

AiTrillion_0-1622536770151.png

- Add a section of product recommendations on the homepage like 'trending or latest or bestsellers'.

- Improve the quality of the images. Display the clear images of the product. In product descriptions, use bullet points.

AiTrillion_1-1622537126583.png

- Add testimonials on the homepage.

- You can start giving loyalty points to your customers on different activities like signing up, visiting a store, making a purchase, allowing for push notifications, sharing or following on social media. This will help you to entice your customers and retain them. You can reward your customers in order to redeem those points. When you give points to them they will come again in the future to make a purchase in order to redeem those points. This encourages repeat purchases which increase sales and helps in retaining your customers.

Add web push notifications, it will help you to retarget your customers even when customers are not in your store without getting their email address. You can send back in stock and price drop alert notifications to bring customers back to your store. It also helps to reduce the abandoned cart rate.

You should use marketing automation tools that will help in better customer engagement & automation. You must set up proper email marketing campaigns, loyalty reward programs, web push notifications, or affiliate programs to increase engagement. To implement this you can install the all-in-one Shopify app AiTrillion, a full-fledged marketing solution. It will help you to capture visitors coming to your store and will help in getting more conversions.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Sachin D | Shopify Growth Expert @ AiTrillion

- 10+ Years of eCommerce experience.
- 1400+ Stores Designed on Shopify.
- All in One Marketing App on Shopify AiTrillion Marketing Automation
- 13+ Shopify Apps launched on app store.

Replies 4 (4)
Shay
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1018 160 211

Hi @QueenB 

Thank you for sharing your store with us! I understand you are struggling to make sales even though you have great foot traffic on your site. I did take a look at your store and I can hopefully provide some constructive feedback that might help you close your sales. 

First thing we want to do when we see a lot of traffic and not as many sales is to make sure that the customer flow is not broken anywhere. Are customers able to make it through the entire checkout without any issues. You want to test in mobile, desktop and tablet (if you have one) to make sure of this. Sometimes issues can appear in only one type of device and not another. I did test through my laptop using the Chrome browser, and there were no issues. 

If we are able to confirm that the checkout flow is working as expected, we then want to look at the customer experience on the store. Here are some of the things I noticed!

• I really enjoy your theme that you are using. it is unique, engaging and has a lot of flow to it. The design of it works well with your store and brand.
  • I think you have the right amount of content for your homepage and on your product pages. 
  • There are some consistency issues with the formatting of text on the website.
  • There are empty image placeholders on the home page. 
  • Certain features of your theme are enabled that may not be needed for your kind of store.
  • There is a lot of urgency happening, but I feel it is too much.
  • There are duplicate links in the footer of your store to the refunds page and terms and conditions page. 

I'll show you what I am seeing and areas that I think can be worked on. My over-all impression is that the framework you have is great. It just needs to be tightened up a bit to carry that over to your customers! From the home page, these are my recommendations or things to consider:

31-34-53724-65174

1: The formatting of the text in your menu and in some areas of your site switches from capitalized to non capitalized. Either option is fine, but you will want to make sure that this is consistent across the entire website. This is important for showcasing a professional store. 

2: From the homepage there are no less than 3 prompts about free shipping. Free shipping is AWESOME and definitely something to promote. I don't think it needs to be all over the homepage though. I personally would get rid of the dark banner at the very top of the page as it also overlapped your header when I looked at it on mobile view. 

3: The compare option is not needed for your site. You offer a small set of options that don't require comparing of features. I would disable this or remove it if you can. 

4: Another consistency issue I noticed was that some of the products just show "Sale" and some show an actual discounted percentage. Either is a great option again, but I would choose one and make that the consistent experience for your customers. 

I also noticed that there were some empty image placeholders, specifically on the slideshow near the bottom of your store:

31-41-91810-92883

From the product page, here are my recommendations:

31-44-68240-64994

1: Source higher quality images for your product images. The images you are using look great on mobile or smaller screens, but since the image size is quite large on the desktop view, the image gets blurry and out of focus. Low quality images can definitely deter buyers from closing the sale.

2: I don't believe you need these urgency prompts to encourage customers to checkout. Also, keep in mind that if the information being shown in those urgency prompts is not actually live or correct, that can be considered a deceptive or malicious practice. If they do not actually track that information live, I would disable them and review the app store for an up to date app that can offer that function with live data. Since your items are not a "flash" item or an item driven by urgency, I don't feel that these are necessary and are instead a bit intimidating.

3: While I can understand the desire to showcase the accepted payment methods for your items, this is not required. A well put together store is expected to accept all major credit cards and doesn't need to have that on every product page. You have this information on your store footer, so I would remove it from your product pages. 

I hope this review helps you! If you have any questions or thoughts on my feedback please let me know. I am here to help you out as much as I am able.

-Shay

Shay | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

PageFly
Shopify Partner
2476 340 1659

Hi @QueenB 

Nice store niche, I am really impressed. Hope you will get some sales soon.

I have some suggestions below, hope they can help:

HOME PAGE

- Improve page speed, I have checked your store on Google page speed, it scores 65 on Desktop and 12 on Mobile and the main reason is the Image. I recommend you use image optimization tools to reduce the image weight. We have some recommended tools here (they are free, also you can find some more tips on optimizing page speed):  https://pagefly.link/xQKRAfpQ#01_Optimize_image_loading_times

- Find the images with same style: Currently they look like a random you pick from the Internet, they don't tell much about your store, your brand and the box

PageFly_0-1622522418304.png

- Though we need to reduce the image's weight for better page speed, it is not recommended to use low quality image and default image. Somehow it will make your store looks like it's under construction.

PageFly_1-1622522814553.png

- Add a Shop now button here: it will remind the customers of browsing the category and shop for their box

PageFly_2-1622522900086.png

PRODUCT PAGE

- I see that you are applying FOMO here but since the product is on sale, and many other people are looking at the product => it's better to show scarcity rather than show that 8 is sold in the last 24 hours => show that only so many left in stock and they should buy now before it's out of stock

Or before the sales ends. A countdown timer might help. Our page builder PageFly has countdown timer to add without coding and we also have Free plan (no time limit) if you want to try personalize your product page. 

PageFly_3-1622523005849.png

CART PAGE

- I don't know if you have many abandon carts but I found an inconsistent message: from Home page I know free shipping on every order but when I landed on cart page, it tells me Free shipping on all orders over $75 => If I were a shopper, I would be disappointed, losing my motivation to buy and will leave.

PageFly_4-1622523221397.png

I hope those feedbacks might help you. If they do, please give me a 'like'

Thank you so much in advance and Have a great day!

----

We recently release a new channel “Ecom Learning With PageFly” in which we provide you with actionable insights into building your own eCommerce business, including everything from Business Ideation, Product Research, Brand Building to proven eCommerce Marketing Strategies, Store Design and Conversion Rate Optimization Strategies.

The first video about picking winning Dropshipping products in June 2021 is out now! We're here to help you thrive in the eCommerce world, one video at a time! Let's check it out.

PageFly- Advanced Shopify Page Builder - Empowering 100.000+ active merchants.

Check our Evergreen List of Best Platforms To Sell Online.

AiTrillion
Shopify Partner
4161 244 729

Hello @QueenBThis is AiTrillion- an All-in-one Marketing Platform on Shopify. Here are some suggestions that will help you to drive conversions in your online store:

- Increase the viewport of the store. It's the area one can view while browsing. Currently, it's very small.

AiTrillion_0-1622536770151.png

- Add a section of product recommendations on the homepage like 'trending or latest or bestsellers'.

- Improve the quality of the images. Display the clear images of the product. In product descriptions, use bullet points.

AiTrillion_1-1622537126583.png

- Add testimonials on the homepage.

- You can start giving loyalty points to your customers on different activities like signing up, visiting a store, making a purchase, allowing for push notifications, sharing or following on social media. This will help you to entice your customers and retain them. You can reward your customers in order to redeem those points. When you give points to them they will come again in the future to make a purchase in order to redeem those points. This encourages repeat purchases which increase sales and helps in retaining your customers.

Add web push notifications, it will help you to retarget your customers even when customers are not in your store without getting their email address. You can send back in stock and price drop alert notifications to bring customers back to your store. It also helps to reduce the abandoned cart rate.

You should use marketing automation tools that will help in better customer engagement & automation. You must set up proper email marketing campaigns, loyalty reward programs, web push notifications, or affiliate programs to increase engagement. To implement this you can install the all-in-one Shopify app AiTrillion, a full-fledged marketing solution. It will help you to capture visitors coming to your store and will help in getting more conversions.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

AiTrillion
Shopify Partner
4161 244 729

Hey @QueenB,

I hope you are doing well! Have you implemented the suggestions and found the solution? 

Did you get a chance to try the app AiTrillion? If you need help with setting up the features, I will be happy to help or you can email our support at support@aitrillion.com

Looking forward to your reply!

Thanks