Why is my store unprofitable?

adriengivry
1 0 0

Hello there!

I'm currently working on this project called The Beaver Stand. The idea is that we (my partner and me), are regrouping sustainably-made Canadian clothing and resell them all at the same place. At the moment, we deal with only one supplier. The supplier we deal with offers various products, some of them meet our criteria, some of them don't.

Our goal is to provide our customers a guarantee that our store only contains clothing made in Canada, with organic cotton, bamboo and recycled polyester, and that we offset our carbon emissions by donating to some foundations (Hudson Farms Foundation at the moment).

So far we've had +4000 visitors, and we concluded 3 sales (1 supporter from Reddit, 1 friend, and 1 random guy from Facebook Ads), which gives us a conversion rate <0.1%.

We are currently unprofitable due to our expenses (Facebook Ads, Shopify, and other services).

Would you mind taking a look at our website and give us some feedback to improve our website and increase this conversion rate?

Thanks!

https://thebeaverstand.ca

0 Likes
PaulNewton
Shopify Partner
3135 195 577

10 second impression, first are your ads targeted to "sustainable" and "ethical" searches if not your gonna wanna think about that.

second shrink your landing pages banner image so the "shop" button is above the fold

3rd replace front page product with something that is not sold out in medium and large if that's your main demographic.

If your not already getting orders over $100 get rid of the free shipping spiff.

Problem Solved? ✔️Accept and ? Like the solution so you can help others.
Buy me a coffee ☕ paypal.me/paulnewton or donate to eff.org
Confused? Busy? Buy a custom solution paull.newton+shopifyforum@gmail.com

Hi @adriengivry

It's PageFly - Shopify Page Builder App  here and I'd like to share some of my initial thoughts when first browsing through your online store. I hope that these comments can be somewhat beneficial to you in improving your site performance. But first, you can check out this Ultimate Checklist on Best Practices To Optimize Your Conversion Rate .

I/ Business

1. Have you built a customer persona who is likely to enjoy the products you are selling? Is this figure willing to pay that amount of money to purchase it? This is some of the initial questions you should be able to answer to understand your target audience in order to run your ads effectively

2. Who is your competitors? Is it a local or global company? Which price range are they offering? Which platforms are they promoting their products? Is your price already a better offer than theirs? 

3. Add more content values to the website in order to attract traffic such as blogs, news because imagine, visitors find you through keywords, and if your site is not on the high-rank websites competing with other big brands then the percentage of users find you is rather low. 

II/ Homepage

1. Make the Announcement Bar sticky. I understand that you have a very tempting offer to your customers, but you don't want them to ignore them right? A repetitive display of your offer might peak interest from your customers and act as a plus when they're considering purchasing the product.

PageFly_0-1632451492273.png

II/ Collection Page

1. Add CTA button for Product Lists. CTA buttons serve as a guidance to your customers to know what to do next when browsing through your store.

PageFly_1-1632451877099.png

If you want more flexibility to personalize your pages, I'd love to introduce our product PageFly Landing Page Builder with 24/7 support live chat. PageFly has a Free plan where you can use all features and create different page types so I hope give us a try.

If you find my comment useful, please let me know by giving it a Like. Thank you!

PageFly

PageFly - Advanced Shopify Page Builder - Empowering 100.000+ active merchants.

Check our Evergreen List of Best Platforms To Sell Online.

Get insightful tips to hit more sales in upcoming BFCM.

UpPromote
Shopify Partner
93 2 16

Hi @adriengivry,

This is UpPromote: Affiliate Marketing - We are the no.1 Affiliate marketing on Shopify app store. I am happy here to share some experience and suggestions for your online store. And I truly hope that they are useful and helpful for you in improving your sales performance. 

1. Your online store

I have just taken a quick look at your website. And following Pagefly recommended you, I have same thought that you should set the Announcement Bar sticky. This is a good way for customers to know your offer. When they scroll down, they still see them and can't be ignore them. 

The plus points are:

• The layout of the page is clear.
  • You divide your products into different categories.
  • You also have product review. That's a plus point.

2. Regarding marketing strategy

Giveaway or contest

Free stuff appeals to everyone! Contest or giveaway could be a wonderful way to urge your followers to engage with your social accounts, thus, increase the brand presence to more audiences.

The basic giveaway would start by offering something that is extremely attractive for your fan base, make sure it shows real value. Next, a few steps are required to get the gift such as like/follow the fan page, tag friend(s), comment,..., all of which will definitely boost the engagement.

Running a contest on social channels is super easy, it could be whether a photo contest, an essay contest or Sweepstakes,... the ideas for a competition is endless.

A cool contest idea for Shopify brands can be seen from Mad Millie as below:

UpPromote_0-1632471902850.png

Using Affiliate Marketing?

Affiliate marketing could be an potential option for you.  Affiliate marketing is a marketing model which allows you to connect with various affiliates, and then they will use their advertising sources such as social media channels, websites, blogs, etc, to promote your products. You only need to pay affiliate commission whenever a customer makes a purchase via the unique link or coupon associated with their recommendation.

The advantages of affiliate Marketing compared with other methods

Cost-Effectiveness

Affiliate marketing may be the most cost-effective form of advertising since you’re only paying for results. Once you figure out ongoing operating costs, it is fundamentally impossible for your affiliate program to operate at a loss because you know your cost per acquisition from the start.

In fact, affiliate marketing does not need a huge amount to build a customer service team, or running advertising. This campaign helps to mitigate any risks that drive traffic or run social ads with little or no result for your Shopify business, while also ensuring that merchants achieve what they pay for.

Sales

With UpPromote: Affiliate Marketing, generating an affiliate program allows you to tap into potential sources of traffic and revenue that you would otherwise not be getting. This is especially true of physical products, for which affiliates can do product review blog posts or videos, for example.

UpPromote_0-1632471499013.png

Brand Awareness

A research reported that 92% of customers trust the recommendations of people, companies or influencers they know. For this reason, working directly with affiliate marketers who then promote your products to their established audience, brings more opportunities and more direct sales. The plus of affiliate marketing is to expand out into new markets that you haven't explored, giving your brand a much stronger online presence.

SEO Value

Publishers (the affiliates) link to your website to send traffic your way. Provided they aren’t spammy, these links are usually beneficial for your off-page SEO efforts, since inbound links are a huge factor in Google’s ranking algorithm.

Customer Data

UpPromote: Affiliate Marketing provides you valuable data and insight into how, where and why your customers are buying, which you can then use to make smarter marketing decisions in the future across other channels.

Publish your affiliate registration to your menu bar

You can add the affiliate registration form on the shop menu , so any visitors who visit your site can easily approach your affiliate campaign.

Your affiliate can create an account and log in right in your shop, which is really simple and convenient.

UpPromote_3-1632471834364.png

I hope my recommendation will be helpful for you. If you are still looking for a marketing tool to boost your sales greatly, I hope you can try our product: UpPromote: Affiliate Marketing 

If these feedbacks are valuable and helpful, kindly give us a "Like" or mark it as a solution. Be patient with your business and good luck!

All the bests,

UpPromote: Affiliate Marketing

Build. Manage. Succeed with Affiliate Marketing

UpPromote: Affiliate Marketing - the best Shopify affiliate app
- The powerful tools to support Shopify merchants to build, manage and succeed effectively with affiliate marketing.
- At the moment UpPromote reaches 35K+ merchants used; and 724K+ affiliates signed up, and 25M clicks recorded.
CutOutWiz
Navigator
369 28 141

Hello @adriengivry 

Hope you are doing well.

I understand how it can be frustrating to be doing everything right but still not getting your traffic converted to sales. You may find comfort in knowing that you're not the only one on that boat. Millions of Shopify store owners are facing the same problem. This is not because you are necessarily doing something wrong, but rather because Sales is an organic process, involving people getting to know you, visiting your brand, looking at your products, comparing them with others, and finally making the decision to purchase from you. So this takes some time, during which you have to hold on tight. But, you can't be just passively waiting for sales to grow, so I would recommend you look at these tips and see which ones you can use: You have great faith in your online shop, but why aren’t visitors converting?

Another Thing you could consider: Not all traffic is good traffic.

Traffic will only have any chance of converting to sales if they are being generated by the right consumer. If your product is for females under the age of 30, but your ads are being viewed by males over 50, that is a lot of traffic, but it will never convert to sales. So, before you spend on targeting, a good idea is to have a simple Google Trends search, that will tell you who is looking for the products you search, what is their age, gender and location. Then you can put forward some really targeted ads that are bound to generate clicks.

Here are some areas where you could consider working on

• A good idea is to have your newsletter as a popup so that it shows up when the customer enters the home page. This will make it more visible and attract more people to your newsletter from where you can target more interested people.

• It is a good idea to place a banner on the homepage that tells your customers exactly what they are looking for. You may add a separate banner for each of your product types

Your banner looks very good and matches your theme and product. 

It is a good idea to have multiple slides on your banner (each should stay for around 5seconds) for each product type and have the CTA buttons for each slide redirect the customer to a different product page.

• Because this is an online store and people cannot touch and feel your products before buying them, they rely heavily on product images, which is why the images have to look top-notch.

The main problem most Shopify store owners have is that they upload raw images of their products. On the website, this makes the product color dull and unappealing.

Rule of thumb - never post unprocessed images on your website. In case you are looking to make your images sharp and professional, contact CutOutWiz for any image-related solutions.

Especially for this kind of product, it is a good idea to have multiple images of the product, from multiple angles, so that the customer can have a feel of what they are buying. If you are looking for an image processing company that will solve all your needs, you can check out CutOutWiz.

Hope this helps you. If you find it useful, leave a like to let me know! Happy Selling! Thank you and the Very Best of Luck to you! 

If you found this helpful, leave a Like to let me know.
If this answers your question, please rate this as an accepted solution :)

M, from the Business Development Team of
Cutoutwiz
0 Likes