Update Inventory by SKU

bholtzclaw
2 0 2

Wanted to post again, as I don't see too many recent questions on this....

We manage large catalogs in a number of stores, and products often get removed or added to variant groups (i.e. two standalone items vs a single item with two variants), which changes the inventory_item_id, causing our internal mappings to break. Due to the nature of our EDI connection, we are unable to query the API on the spot for up-to-date inventory_item_ids, rather we have to record these in a table when the item is first added to the store and rely on those mappings to update inventory via 846.

1. Is there now, or does Shopify have plans in the near future, to allow inventory updates by API using SKU as a key? (I realize keeping SKUs unique in the store would be on us)

2. Is there any way to "force" an inventory_item_id in the store to be consistent (do not change it if a SKU does not change)?

3. Has anyone had success with using a third party app to update inventory by SKU? (Matrixify/Excelify, etc) 

Replies 2 (2)
Renars
Shopify Partner
222 25 276

Hello @bholtzclaw 

Renars here from Matrixify (Excelify).
Thank you for mentioning us, so we can jump in on the issue.

>1. Is there now, or does Shopify have plans in the near future, to allow inventory updates by API using SKU as a key? (I realize keeping SKUs unique in the store would be on us)

As far as I know, Shopify API does not allow updating items by other fields than ID directly.
But you sure can use our app to do that. For example, to update Variant Price, you only need to import a file with two columns - Variant SKU and Variant Price

The app will find all variants that have this SKU and set their prices.

Here we do have a tutorial on how to do just that - https://matrixify.app/tutorials/update-shopify-product-by-sku/

>2. Is there any way to "force" an inventory_item_id in the store to be consistent (do not change it if a SKU does not change)?

I assume that this is when grouping your products? If so, then not that I would know.
All IDs are set by Shopify when variants are created, the same applies to variant_id and inventory_item_id. They cannot be specified when creating new variants for a product.

Please correct me if I misunderstood your process.

>3. Has anyone had success with using a third party app to update inventory by SKU? (Matrixify/Excelify, etc) 

As mentioned in #1 then you sure can do that. And we have many merchants that are using this feature for both manual data imports and automated, for example, from Google Sheets or their FTP/SFTP servers.

I hope this information helps, if you have any more questions or issues, please reach out to us directly.

Matrixify | Bulk Import Export Update | https://apps.shopify.com/excel-export-import | https://matrixify.app
Anto_S
Shopify Partner
114 4 16

Hey @bholtzclaw 

If your need is to update Shopify inventory based on SKU, this is something we've done before for customers via private apps. I'm guessing that the shop has a single location (if not we will need SKU + location_id). If multiple product variants are returned for a SKU, we will update the inventory level for just the first one.

We are working on making this a public app, happy to discuss solving this for you in the meanwhile. Email me at anto@opstack.co

thanks

Anto

Automating Commerce at Comstack.co