Migrating Subscription Contracts from Shopify Payments to Authorize.net

PDI_Books
4 0 0

Hey All,

We have built a custom subscription app for our shop using the shopify subscription API.  When we initially built this app, we were required to use shopify payments, which we did and in turn, closed up shop on authorize.net.

Now authorize.net is a compatible gateway for the subscription API and we would like to move back.

I have a few questions regarding this and support has not been able to help.

1.  Will we have to migrate ALL current subscription contract tokens from shopify payments to authorize?

2. Knowing we are going to have to do some work on the actual app to make this compatible with Authorize over shopify payments, has any one gone through this exact transition before?  If so, did you run into any issues?

3. Would we be able to run shopify payments and Authorize.net in unison for this?  Ex.  All subs go through shopify payments while rest of store goes through authorize?

Replies 16 (16)

LarryReid
Shopify Staff
87 9 22

Thanks for your questions. Here's what I can tell you:

1. You shouldn't need to do anything with the existing contracts. 
  2. We don't think you should need to make any changes to the app to support Authorize.net.
  3. No, you can't do this.

I hope that at least clarifies some things for you. If you have more information about your situation or just need clarification on my answer, don't hesitate to reply.

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

eddyskio
Shopify Partner
3 0 1

Hi Larry, 

So will existing subscription contracts (created with ShopPay) be automatically migrated to the new payment processor (Auth.net)? 

Does this require any work on the developer side or is it automatic? 

Thanks! 

JuanHoyos
Shopify Staff
43 4 6

Hello @eddyskio

Existing subscription contracts created under Shopify Payments will be billable after the switch to Auth.net. No work should be necessary from the developer side to switch.

Best,

Juan

DaveMay403
Visitor
2 0 0

Hello @JuanHoyos,

This very helpful. I'm am in a similar scenario. I have a set of subscribers (using the Appstle app) for which billing is currently processed via Shopify Payments, but I would like to switch to authorize.net.

Is there a way for me to switch to authorize.net without disrupting the existing payments? and if so how do I trigger it? (sorry, I am a team of 1 and only slightly technical so I'm just trying to figure out if I can do this without damaging my business)

Thank you so much,

Dave

JuanHoyos
Shopify Staff
43 4 6

Hi @DaveMay403, sorry for the late reply.

To enable Authorize.net for your subscriptions you can follow the instructions in the Help Center. With this, new and previous subscription contracts will be automatically billed via Authorize.net as primary payment gateway.

Please notice that if you created remote payment methods while migrating from Authorize.net to Shopify Payments (migration guide), you will need to keep the Authorize.net secondary payment gateway.

I hope this helps.

kenmyoung
Visitor
1 0 0

I someone has gone through this process and been able to confirm that the functionality works as described it would be much appreciated.  We are doing the same transfer, but want to make sure prior to transfer that subsequent billings will work.

carltonjroach
Visitor
1 0 0

Can you confirm 

1) that card payments (subscriptions) created with shopify payments - can be migrated to authorize.net with no work needed from the customer.

i.e the next payment on subscription will come out as normal and they do not have to do anything 

2) Shop pay subscriptions, what will happen to these? As this is a separate system managed by shopify, can they be switched over too?

please clarify this and it can be done 

BSPark
Shopify Partner
3 0 5

Did you ever find a solution to this. Subscriptions process via credit card and shopify payments transfer seamless, but "ShopPay" subscriptions do not. Has anyone found a solution to transfer these to Auth or another payment provider?

eminencefront23
4 0 0

@DaveMay403 Did you ever get this to work?  We are in a similar situation about having open subscription contract tokens with Shopify Payments, but wanting to switch to Authorize.net.  Were future subscription orders able to run fine via Authorize after you made the switch?  @JuanHoyos Can you confirm?

positiontech
Tourist
10 0 1

DaveMay403, I'm in this situation right now. I am using Appstle and switching from Shopify Payments to authorize.net was the transition smooth? Any insight on how the transition went would be appreciated.  

hltc
Tourist
6 0 1
Hi mate,

I will save you a lot of trouble and nerves, and just tell that its
impossible to migrate tokens from shopify payments to anywhere else.

I wish It didn't took me 2 months of chatting to finally get this
clarified, but it's the reality. Shopify payments do not share tokens for
migration.
positiontech
Tourist
10 0 1

Thank you Hltc for that info. I'm currently using Appstle and I am having to switch from Shopify Payments to Authorize.net. For the customers that already have existing subscriptions and were previously automatically billing through Shopify payments how do I get those existing subscriptions to start billing through authorize.net when I activate that payment method?

hltc
Tourist
6 0 1
You can't...
eminencefront23
4 0 0

Hey @eddyskio Are you with the subscription app SKIO?

hltc
Tourist
6 0 1

Hi Larry!

We want to migrate subscription tokens from Shopify Payments to Stripe. How we can do that?

eminencefront23
4 0 0

Hey @PDI_Books Did you ever resolve this and get migrated to Authorize.net from Shopify Payments without losing subscription contract tokens?