Selling Plan Attached Delivery Profiles

j-riv
Shopify Partner
10 1 0

I have created and attached the following delivery profile to a selling plan group:

{
  "profile": {
    "locationGroupsToCreate": {
      "locations": ["gid://shopify/Location/31894879"],
      "zonesToCreate": {
        "name": "USA",
        "countries": {
          "code": "US",
          "includeAllProvinces": true
        },
        "methodDefinitionsToCreate": [
          {
            "active": true,
            "description": "USPS Shipping",
            "name": "USPS Shipping",
            "participant": {
              "adaptToNewServices": true,
              "carrierServiceId": "gid://shopify/DeliveryCarrierService/108785",
              "participantServices": [
                {"active": true,
                  "name": "USPS"
                }
              ]
            }
          },
          {
            "active": true,
            "description": "US Free Shipping when you spend $35",
            "name": "Free Shipping",
            "priceConditionsToCreate": {
              "criteria": {
                "amount": "35",
                "currencyCode": "USD"
              },
              "operator": "GREATER_THAN_OR_EQUAL_TO"
            },
            "rateDefinition": {
              "price": {
                "amount": "0",
                "currencyCode": "USD"
              }
            }
          }
        ]
      }
    },
    "name": "US Subscription Shipping",
    "sellingPlanGroupsToAssociate": ["gid://shopify/SellingPlanGroup/61564567"]
  }
}

I also have default shipping rules. Orders over $35 get free shipping.

If I create an order with a subscription product that has a price of $10.79 this product should be charged shipping. In this case carrier calculated. If this order also has non-subscription products and the total cart price is over $35. The shipping cost should be FREE.

Currently when I create this order it displays shipping as free which is correct, but it also shows subscription shipping as free. I'm guessing this is because of the over $35 Free Shipping rule. But the recurring product order will not satisfy this rule. So why is the cart displaying the recurring shipping cost as FREE when it should be carrier calculated since the recurring product cost is $10.79?

Now if I remove the Free shipping at $35 rule from the delivery profile attached to the selling plan group. The recurring shipping cost gets calculated correctly, but now the customer is being charged subscription shipping, even though the cart total is over $35. Shouldn't the general rule of Free shipping over $35 still apply here?

I don't think I should need an app for this. What am I doing wrong here? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Reply 1 (1)

qc11
Shopify Staff (Retired)
47 14 12

Hi,

I believe this is a limitation for our mixed cart (having both subs and non-subs items). 

We currently calculate rates based on the initial cart and price-based shipping rates look to the total cart value. The free subscription shipping in the beginning got consolidated after that, and free subscription shipping fee remains.

If you remove the delivery profile from selling plan group, that means the "free over $35" rule doesn't apply to subs items any more. We calculate the shipping based on both subs and non-subs items' delivery profiles.

There's really no perfect workaround right now, so probably charging the initial subscription shipping fee for now would be the best option so that you don't lose the recurring shipping fees.

Hope this helps!

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.