Subscription API - for cashback or reward apps

Manish_Pahwa
4 0 0

Hi Team,

We are working with a clients in the cashback rewards space and would like to understand if we need to use the shopify subscription api. They (cashback rewards app) promote products of merchants signed up with them through their own channels and offer a fixed price or fixed % off to customers.

In return for boosting sales for merchants, the merchants provide the cashback rewards app with a fee. The cashback rewards app currently operate offline and would like to now extend their offering to shopify stores via an app on the Shopify app store.

2 main questions:

1. Can the cashback rewards app keep using existing methods of settlement outside off the shopify subscriptions app?

2. The cashback rewards app - shopify version can be a free app for merchants to sign up for however if the app is paid then it will be require to use the subscription api.

Thanks for your time.

Replies 3 (3)

schaeken
Shopify Staff (Retired)
164 0 18

Hi Manish_Pahwa,

The Shopify Subscription APIs can only be used for subscription purposes. See the prohibited actions section for more details. As per the updated API license and terms Partner Program Agreement, any functionality offered by partners to merchants that require a payment to be accepted must go through the Shopify checkout. Though your situation may be different, I wouldn't recommend using existing methods of settlement if it falls outside of the Shopify ecosystem.

Schaeken | Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

Manish_Pahwa
4 0 0

Thanks for the references @schaeken , I understand that under the partner program agreement all subscriptions will need to be charged via the platform.
Looking through the requirements for building apps, I found an exemption for sales channel type apps which is essentially what my client wants to do. 

https://shopify.dev/concepts/app-store/getting-your-app-approved/app-requirements - Step 13

Wondering if there is a checklist under we can use to determine if we qualify for the exemption. 

schaeken
Shopify Staff (Retired)
164 0 18

Perhaps. I generally think of sales channels as places where merchants can submit their products to be sold somewhere else on the web, like a marketplace. I recommend contacting Partner Support for more details.

Schaeken | Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog