Looking for guidance on accessing Shopify's protected scopes in Make (Integromat)

gabrielguerin
5 0 0

Hello Shopify Community!

I'm currently trying to retrieve and pass payment methods from Stripe to Recharge via Shopify, as explained in this thread, and we’re using Make (Integromat) to connect these three apps together. However, this process requires access to Shopify's protected scopes, specifically the write_customer_payment_methods scope. I've struggled to find comprehensive step-by-step instructions on how to gain access to these protected scopes within the Make environment.

Could someone with experience in integrating Shopify with Make please provide guidance on how to accomplish this? Here are a few points that I have noticed.

• I see in this post that I need to request the access scope through our partner dashboard. We’re connected to Make using a private or custom Shopify app, as explained in the Make documentation
  • In step 2 of the official documentation on OAuth, I believe that this step is reserved for Make’s own team. So how do I request and gain access to Shopify's protected scopes in Integromat?
  • As explained in this post, I'm concerned that our app is defined as a partner app with a store associated with it, and therefore won't be able to access the write_customer_payment_methods scope. How can I be sure that this is not the case?

I'd greatly appreciate any insights or resources that can help me navigate this process effectively.

Thank you in advance for your assistance!

Replies 2 (2)

JuanHoyos
Shopify Staff
43 4 6

Hello @gabrielguerin, I have no experience integrating with Make, but I'll try to help.

To gain access to the mentioned scope and be able to use customerPaymentMethodRemoteCreate, your app has to be created using the Partner Dashboard. As per the requirements to handle purchase options such as subscription contracts:

Custom apps created in the Shopify admin can't use purchase options because these apps can't use extensions or request access to protected scopes. If you're building a solution for a single store, then build your custom app in the Partner Dashboard.

The specific steps to request the protected access scope for your app can be found here: https://shopify.dev/docs/api/usage/access-scopes#subscription-apis-permissions

* I see in this post that I need to request the access scope through our partner dashboard. We’re connected to Make using a private or custom Shopify app, as explained in the Make documentation.

According to Make's documentation you also can connect using OAuth and you are not limited to private/custom Shopify apps.

I hope this is useful.

Juan

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

gabrielguerin
5 0 0

Hi Juan,

Thanks for your quick and insightful reply. It has clarified the way forward for us.

Gabriel Guerin