Solved

adding a statement or message to shipping portion of checkout process

markacrowder
Excursionist
17 1 4

Good morning everyone!

I am looking to edit the shipping part of the checkout process so that I can notify my customers that the Media Mail option will likely have significant delays, and that Priority Mail is their best option, as I am getting complaints about current USPS delays. I see how you can edit fundamental choices, but I really just want to insert a courtesy message there for some guidance. I'm comfortable editing code but need to figure out where and what to put in there.

I've attached a screenshot of the checkout process where I'd like to put the message. (I've scribbled out the contact info)

Screen Shot 2020-07-02 at 10.45.59 AM.png

Accepted Solution (1)

Ash
Shopify Staff (Retired)
764 88 160

This is an accepted solution.

Hey, @markacrowder!

Ash here from the Shopify team. 

I'm glad to help out with this question! While generally the checkout is not something we can edit on shops, we're able to adjust the wording on themes using the language editor. This includes adding notices to certain areas, such as the shipping step of the checkout! Here's a document in our Help Center which goes over how to access and use the language editor. 

Once inside the language editor for your theme, the shipping notice can be added in the "Checkout & system" tab furthest to the right. However, you can also simply search in the "Search translations" for the area you want to edit. For this specific case, search for "Shipping method notice". Here's a screenshot to show what this will look like when you track the section down:

20-07-g9zpy-doxxj.png

Once you add in your notice and save the page, you should then see it live on the shipping step of your checkout. I hope this helps achieve what you're looking for, and feel free to reply back here if you need any further assistance adding in your shipping method notice. 

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

View solution in original post

Replies 16 (16)

Ash
Shopify Staff (Retired)
764 88 160

This is an accepted solution.

Hey, @markacrowder!

Ash here from the Shopify team. 

I'm glad to help out with this question! While generally the checkout is not something we can edit on shops, we're able to adjust the wording on themes using the language editor. This includes adding notices to certain areas, such as the shipping step of the checkout! Here's a document in our Help Center which goes over how to access and use the language editor. 

Once inside the language editor for your theme, the shipping notice can be added in the "Checkout & system" tab furthest to the right. However, you can also simply search in the "Search translations" for the area you want to edit. For this specific case, search for "Shipping method notice". Here's a screenshot to show what this will look like when you track the section down:

20-07-g9zpy-doxxj.png

Once you add in your notice and save the page, you should then see it live on the shipping step of your checkout. I hope this helps achieve what you're looking for, and feel free to reply back here if you need any further assistance adding in your shipping method notice. 

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

eallen
Visitor
1 0 0

Hey Ash,

We are using the Debut theme on our shop and this option doesn't look like it's in the languages tab. Is there another way to edit this within the theme we are using? Thanks!

Screen Shot 2021-10-18 at 1.44.07 PM.png

Olivia
Shopify Staff
1695 146 302

Hey, @eallen.

Thank you for your question. I am chiming in on behalf of my colleague, and hoping to replicate this issue on my end.

I haven't been able to thus far, so can you please clarify which version of Debut you are using? This is typically found in Theme Settings under Admin > Online Store > Themes > Customize Theme.

I look forward to your reply,

Olivia | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

Oniguili
Shopify Partner
5 0 2

Hi Team,

I am working on a similar notice, but have been informed that the notice is only showing up on Chrome and Edge. It is not showing up on FF or Safari. How can I troubleshoot this issue?

Thanks!

trufflenpop
Visitor
2 0 0

I am having the same issue! My shipping notice shows up on other browsers but not safari! 

Yitsen
Visitor
2 0 3

Hi all,

Same here, I am having the same issue. Shipping notice shows up on only safari but not other browsers: not on Chrome nor Edge.

Is it about the versions of browsers?
Any respond would be appreciated.

I am human, and I think nothing human is alien to me.
Oniguili
Shopify Partner
5 0 2

When I applied a title to the shipping notice, it started to appear across the board. If you try that, it may help.

Olivia
Shopify Staff
1695 146 302

Hello to all the users joining our thread,

I was happy to conduct some tests in regards to this issue, but I was unable to replicate the error being described here.

With that being said, if you are impacted by this issue and cannot see your shipping messages appear in other browsers can you please clarify the following:

• Is this issue occurring on a Shopify-developed theme? 
  • If yes, which theme and version are you using?
  • Does this happen across all versions of the browser you are experiencing the issue on?
  • Do you experience this on your mobile site, along with the desktop?
  • Has adding a title helped amend the issue, as suggested by the last post in this thread?

Please let me know and I would be happy to offer further individualized assistance.

Warm regards,

ambrass
Visitor
3 0 0

Hi Ash - this works great in the Shopify checkout, but not for Shop Pay checkout - any hints on how to get this message to display when a  customer is using Shop Pay as well?

Olivia
Shopify Staff
1695 146 302

Thanks for reaching out with your question, @ambrass.

Since Shop Pay accelerates the checkout and pre-selects shipping options, this may not be the best fit. With that being said, I may recommend a shipping banner to your website homepage, or either as a Terms & Conditions check box on your cart.

Let me know what you think and I'd be glad to discuss solutions.

Warm regards,

Matilda1
Tourist
3 0 1

@markacrowder How did you get the "2 to 8 bussiness days" and "2 business days" messages under the shipping method names? 

Ninahxy
Visitor
1 0 0

It works!!!!

Olivia
Shopify Staff
1695 146 302

Hi, @Ninahxy!

Thank you so much for taking the time to write to us and confirm this solution currently works for you. I trust other users will also find this helpful.

Warm regards,

BIKEIOWA
Not applicable
2 0 1

Finally found a solution to add a custom shipping notice that worked on all browsers!
Go to your Themes
Choose "Edit Default Theme Content"
Click on "Checkout & system"
Click in the whitespace and press & hold the page down key until you get to to the bottom.
This is a VERY VERY long page
Once at the end, search for "Shipping method notice" via the browser search (Ctrl F)
This value will now show up.
Make your changes and press Save.

I could not get Shopify's Search to find this value any other way.
Good Luck!

*** SEARCH RESULTS ***
shopify - Shipping method notice.png

*** WHERE VALUE SHOWS UP ON ORDER SCREEN ***
shopify - Shipping method notice 2.png

Olivia
Shopify Staff
1695 146 302

Thank you so much for your feedback, @BIKEIOWA!

This solution is the same as the Accepted Solution for this thread, but please let me know if we missed anything in our first reply that didn't address this.

Warm regards,

BIKEIOWA
Not applicable
2 0 1
Yes, the difference is you have to scroll to the end and hit control F to
find versus just searching for that term. If you don't scroll to the end,
the term will not be found