Why can't I delete a theme from a client's Shopify account?

Quico
Shopify Partner
6 0 7

Hi, i'm trying to remove an old theme from a client account, and for some reason I get the message "theme couldn't be removed". Is there another way to do it?

Screenshot 2022-02-10 at 14.31.46.pngScreenshot 2022-02-10 at 14.34.37.pngScreenshot 2022-02-10 at 14.35.16.png

Replies 4 (4)

Zworthkey
Shopify Partner
5581 642 1565

@Quico 
Kindly contact to shopify Support team.
Might be they help you.

https://help.shopify.com/en/questions#/shop-select

Lana
Shopify Staff (Retired)
849 77 107

Hello @Quico

It is possible that you're unable to do this due to a permissions issue. Are you working on this store as a staff/collaborator? If so, the best thing to do here would be to ask the store owner to action the removal of the theme as only they can do this. 

Let me know how you get on or if the owner is still having issues with the removal! 

Lana | Social Care @ Shopify
-Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

Quico
Shopify Partner
6 0 7

as a collaborator, that's not the issue, I remove duplicated themes all the time

Lana
Shopify Staff (Retired)
849 77 107

I see! And is it possible that this theme is currently set as the Live theme? In that case you would need to set a different theme to be live to be able to remove this one. 

Otherwise, this could also be an issue that requires some local troubleshooting. Here are the steps that I recommend:

• Clear your Google Chrome cache and cookies by following these steps here and try to remove the theme again.
  • Try to do this on an alternative device i.e. if you were trying to do this on desktop, see if it works on a mobile device.
  • Reset your internet - in some cases network errors can lead to similar issues, so resetting may be helpful.

If you continue to experience this issue after taking all of the above steps, my next recommendation is to reach out to our support here as our team might need to take a closer look and investigate. The reason that I am directing you to that link is because at the moment I cannot check your account details via the Shopify Community. 

Lana | Social Care @ Shopify
-Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog