Can you change a store name without a paid plan?

CaughtYourDream
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi,

So I have an old Shopify account that was made in The Netherlands and I have since moved to the UK and wanted to make a new store although the name would be the same. I couldn't get the region to change on the old account and I'm too far into making the new one to delete it. 

I tried to delete the account but I can't find how to and when searched online it only shows that you can make it inactive.

I made a store with the name about a year ago but never published it, I was just wondering if there is a way to change the old name of the store without a paid plan as I only used the free trial when I was making it and don't want to pay for a plan just to change the name on an account I don't use. (I hope this makes sense).

Thank you!

Reply 1 (1)

Erin
Shopify Staff
1034 134 166

Hi, @CaughtYourDream. I'm happy to look into this with you! I just have a few questions to make sure I'm giving you helpful advice going forward.

• To clarify, are you hoping to keep your old store or your new one?
  • Can you walk me through the steps you took to change your store name and region? What was the issue you were having when you tried this?
  • When you refer to your store name do you mean the URL customers use to visit your store, or do you mean the text entered in the Store name setting found on the SettingsStore details page?

Typically if you move you would just need to update your account details in your Shopify admin. You can find the steps to set or change your legal name and business address here. You can also find the steps to set or change your online store name and contact information here. I recommend going through these steps to ensure the store you want to keep has these details entered correctly. If you'd like to close one of your stores you can do so by following the steps in this guide.

If you are trying to change the name of a store that is no longer being used you would need to pay for a plan to access and manage those settings. I'd recommend against doing that since you don't want to use that store. Instead, it's best to just update the settings for the store you'd like to continue using.

Please let me know if you have any questions!

Erin | Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog