Cannot connect my Godaddy domain with Shopify.

AwaisAmin20
Tourist
3 0 1

Hi all,

I have bought a domain on Godaddy and I am trying to connect it to Shopify.

I have also changed the cname and a records on Godaddy to Shopify specific but it still gives me this error: "A site with that domain name already exists"

Kindly help me out on this one.

Replies 5 (5)

Ava
Shopify Staff
1161 78 197

Hey, @AwaisAmin20!

We can sometimes see this message pop up if there is another store within Shopify that is using the same domain name for their site. The previous owner may have closed their store but still has their domain attached, so this is what could be blocking you from 'owning' the domain within the Shopify admin. 

The best thing to do here to get this resolved is to reach out to our support team via our live chat feature so we can properly assess if this domain is still attached to an older store here. We can unlink the store so that you will be free to connect it to your domain. I'm limited with the support I can offer here in the Community, so our support team will be able to walk you through this as soon as you reach out. Let me know what you think! 

Ava | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

AwaisAmin20
Tourist
3 0 1

Thank you Ava,

That is indeed true. Earlier than today, when I entered my domain, it took me to Godaddy landing page. Now, it takes me to a store. I don't understand it completely that how is it happening, but thank you for your response. I am trying to get the staff help from the link provided.

Ava
Shopify Staff
1161 78 197

Thank you for responding to me here! That does indeed sound like the website may be linking to an older/unused site, I'm sure our support team will get to the bottom of this for you once you speak with them. Do let me know how you get on, I'd like to be sure this issue is resolved for you. 

AwaisAmin20
Tourist
3 0 1

Thank you Ava for guiding me, my issue was resolved!

Ava
Shopify Staff
1161 78 197

Oh fantastic, that's great news! I'm glad to hear you've gotten the domain connected now. 

The next step would be to set up email forwarding for your domain so customers can contact you. You can set up an email address for customer support, so whenever a customer contacts that email address, the email will be forwarded to your personal account for you to see. A lot of merchants set up emails like 'info@shopname.com' or 'help@shopname.com', just as some ideas for you! This is a service GoDaddy may offer as an extra feature, but you can also use a service like Zoho Mail or Google Workspace. There is more information on how to set that up here.

Let me know what you think!