Cant import products. Error code 500

murraycm09
Visitor
2 0 0

I keep having problems adding products. It keep saying error code 500. None of my products are being imported. What should I do about this or is it just a system thing?

Replies 5 (5)

Moira
Shopify Staff
2040 223 326

Hey @murraycm09,

Welcome to the Shopify Community!

Without being able to see your store, it's difficult for me to establish exactly what is happening. If you could please share your store URL and reply to this thread answering the questions below, I will be able to take a much closer look:

• Are you adding a large catalog of products via CSV import? and what steps are you taking?

• When during the process does the error pop up?

I look forward to hearing from you!

Moira | Social Care @ Shopify
- Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know!
- Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
- To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

murraycm09
Visitor
2 0 0

Hello @Moira

It keeps saying Request failed with error code 500. I have a bit of items on my page now. Do that mean I exceeded the amount of products added? I use aliexpress.com to import my products. Once I click on import, I then go to SellersDash.com to add it to the store. It was working at first but, I wanted to add like 2 more products.

https://murray-s-den.myshopify.com/

Moira
Shopify Staff
2040 223 326

@murraycm09 

Most of the time, if you are seeing 500 "Internal Server Errors" this means there was a timeout on Shopify's end. To prevent this error from happening, my first suggestion is to reduce the number of products you upload at once. 

When a shop has over 50,000 variants, the number of variants that the shop can create a day is 1,000. If this limit is exceeded, then an error is displayed, and merchants need to wait 24 hours before adding variants by using an app or CSV file import. Shopify Plus stores are exempt from this limit as stated in our guide below:

If non Plus store merchants were wanting to exceed this limit, they can apply for an exemption although there are quite strict criteria that must be met to do so. Note that this is different from the 100 variants per product limit, and that limit cannot be changed.

throne
Visitor
2 0 0

Does this also happen when you are on Free Plan? I seem to get this even without excessive import numbers

Moira
Shopify Staff
2040 223 326

Hey @throne,

Which plan are you on? We do not offer a free plan, are you in a trial period by chance?