checkout change url / remove number from url

etienne21
3 0 0

Hello,

When customer checks out the url is https://www.customdomain.com/123456789/checkouts........

(I think the 12345679 is my shop id?)

What I would like to know, can I somehow remove that number in order to give the customer the experience of:

https://www.customdomain.com/checkouts.....

Is this possible? And how?

Thanks

0 Likes
Ava
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
973 64 161

Hey, @etienne21!

It is not possible to change the URL structure of the checkout at this time. There are some limitations around what you can and cannot edit regarding the checkout; this is a security feature to protect you and your customers! This guide in our Help Centre goes over the customizations you can make, these include colours, style, text and logos mainly. But editing the URL is not possible at the moment I'm afraid. There is more info here on why the checkout is designed the way it is.

Can I ask why you would lie to edit the URL structure? Would there be SEO concerns or more of an aesthetic issue? I'd love some more context on what you'd like to do!

Speak soon!

Ava
Social Care | help.shopify.com

Ava | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

etienne21
3 0 0
Dear Ava,
Thank you for the explanation.

I would like to change the URL for SEO purposes as well as customer trust level. Customers like to see simple urls, not with numbers in it.
Any suggestions are always welcome.

Kind regards,
Etienne
0 Likes
demib
Shopify Partner
116 12 57

@etienne21 wrote:
I would like to change the URL for SEO purposes as well as customer trust level. Customers like to see simple urls, not with numbers in it.
Any suggestions are always welcome.

Kind regards,
Etienne

There is no SEO value at all in the check out pages. They are individually created for each user. 

Also, I generally would agree with you that users like simple URL's but for checkouts its different. Most websites do need a bit more complex URL's for that part and when users get to this a long URL will not scare them away. 

SEO Geek since 1996, consultant author and public speaker. Admin of the Shopify SEO Facebook Group

Was your question answered? Kindly mark it as an Accepted Solution :-)
0 Likes
etienne21
3 0 0
Yes, the checkout full url is client/order specific.

The beginning of the URL is not of influence on the SEO? SEO doesn't like shorter URLs?

like: https://www.shopdomain.com/123456/checkouts/.....

the .... representing the random key for the client order and is ofcourse different all the time for security reasons. The 123456 sequence seems to be my shopify id, which I don't think is needed to be visible to the customer. Would that hurt SEO, being longer and not having an obvious use for the search engine/customer experience?
0 Likes