Creating sub categories in a collection in collection list page using minimal theme

Saviana_Arts
6 0 0

Hello,

I would like to create subcategories and sub sub categories in a collection list page. I am using minimal theme. 

I have looked on youtube and here and can't seem to find the answer.  I know how to do a drop down and add categories in the menu section at the top of my page.

For instance: my menu has home -shopall- contact us. etc.  Under shop all a customer can search and find each of my collection pages. I know how to add sub sections to each of the collection pages, if i need to. But that is not where I need help. 

When you visit my shop, as you scroll down, you will see a menu at the top ( as  I just explained), then photos, then blog, then featured item , then finally a collection list.

this is where i have my inventory broken in to  four collections: 1)holiday, 2) prints, 3) posters and 4)Etcetera...

The first three collections list  (1-3) lists are simple and list our artwork so there are no issues there.

The final collection, Etcetera is our craft section.  I post a picture that shows what we sell in etcetera. When a customer clicks that collection, they see all my craft products. Its daunting. I want to make it simpler. 

I would like the customers to be able to click on  to my Etcetera collection page and have another page (sub category)  show up listing  the crafts I sell (with photos).  i.e. greetings cards, plates, etc.   Then I would like the customer to be able to click on the subcategory and another page (sub sub category) shows up with the items in the category ie. Subcategory :greeting cards  Sub sub category (or section) : each individual card we sell. One Youtuber suggested to code in. I followed the instructions but don't know where to go from there. Following suggestion- After "schema"- I coded one page for plates and another for cards but that's where I got stuck. I am not a coder.   I did save my store in the theme library just in case I made a mistake. 

Can someone help me out?  my store is www.savianaarts.myshopify.com. Thank you. Vivian

Replies 7 (7)

lkstar
Excursionist
40 1 3

HI - I did this using the "collections list" option that shows up when you select customize theme and scroll through the dropdown at the top. I believe you can create only one "collections list" and I can't find access to it anywhere but this spot. I was able to edit the title of it in the Language section.Screen Shot 2020-12-08 at 1.06.55 PM.png

Saviana_Arts
6 0 0

@Ikstar Thank you for your help :).  I am familiar with creating sub categories in the menu line. But I wanted one where the customer could scroll down and click on the collection and then into the different categories and then to the product they want. I can't believe there is not an option to do that? sigh. 

lkstar
Excursionist
40 1 3

hi - what I'm suggesting is different from a subcategory. there is *one* collection list template that you can use to make a page that displays a group of collections. (there's only one of these pages so you have to decide where to implement - i think most people use it for for their "shop all" function.) You can link to that
"collection list" page from anywhere on your site, so on your home page rather than use the standard "collection" images that link to collections by default, you can use rich HTML or an image block and link to this collection list.

It might help me better understand if you sketched what you're trying to accomplish? lk

lkstar
Excursionist
40 1 3

and, totes agree this should be easier!

4TheAbode
Visitor
3 0 0

Did you ever find a solution, I am trying to do the same thing, it's hard for me just to find someone who knows what I am trying to accomplish, much less offer a solution

lkstar
Excursionist
40 1 3

The solution I outlined worked for my use case of having only one "super category".

Savior
Shopify Partner
537 108 161

@4TheAbode 

Please DM me your problem with a brief explanation. 

banned