Credit Card Surcharge

Andrew_w87
2 0 1

Hi All

Trying to find a way to add a Credit Card Surcharge to orders where customers choose to process their payment via credit card. A few things to note

1. I operate a store in an industry where margins are very low, so absorbing credit card rates is not viable

2. Similarly, I operate in an industry with a lot of competition, so simply increasing my product price or shipping price (we offer fixed price shipping) is not a suitable option

3. I have seen a number of apps suggested HOWEVER, it seems these apps can only add fees on an order in general, not based upon payment type. We also offer Direct Debit and a number of alternative payment methods, so applying a fee to all types of transactions doesn't help us either

All of my competitors who operate in the same industry get around this issue by adding a surcharge on credit card purchases (different platforms), so I need to try and achieve the same result, otherwise my stores will look more expensive to buy from over my competitors. 

I've done a heap of searching but there doesn't really seem to be any topics on this since 2019, so I'm hoping perhaps there have been some developments made in this space

Thanks in advance

Replies 7 (7)
Don
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
2029 140 268

Hi there @Andrew_w87!

I can confirm for you here that, as you suspect from your own checks, it would not be possible to levy a surcharge only against a certain payment method being used here.

There are fee-related apps in our app store that would allow you to add fees to orders as you've seen for yourself, but it would not be possible to discriminate in terms of which payment methods are being used in your store.

What I can do for you from here would be to file a feature request for this functionality, so our developers know this is something our merchants would like to see in the platform in the future.

You've already provided great info here on why this is important for your business, but do let me know if there's any info we can add to this request that is specific to your business needs.

This will help us to file the most accurate, useful request possible for our developers to work from.

Regards,

Don

Don | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

Andrew_w87
2 0 1

Hi @Don 

Thanks for your prompt response. Yes, please do file the request, as it's something based on what I've read on an extensive number of forum posts which would be well received by many.

I would expect that Shopify likely doesn't do this as a default option as they don't want to discourage customers from selecting Shopify Payments as payment option (when other options are available), but it's a catch 22 as I'm seeing this frequently as a reason for retailers moving to other platforms.

I think you've probably got all of the necessary information, however probably the only other thing I'd really like to see (which is in a similar space) would be the option to allow in-store pick-up, but be able to add a "handling fee". Reason being is that we're also a bricks & mortar shopfront, which offers installation of products that we sell. If a customer purchases something only to be shipped to them, the shipping fee covers it being sent direct from our warehouse to their address, but if they select in-store pick-up, we still have to get it shipped from our warehouse to our retail location, incurring similar cost as sending it straight to the customer, but without the cost being passed on.

I've come up with some dodgy workarounds where I can add 2 types of shipping and call one "pick-up", but it removes some of the functions (such as marking ready for pick-up) and customers are also finding confusing having to enter shipping specifics when they know they're not shipping.

I guess I'm somewhat complicating it but mentioning two separate topics on the one thread, but thought it worth mentioning as I would imagine it's in a similar area with regards to the development

Thanks again for your assistance 

Don
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
2029 140 268

Hi again @Andrew_w87!

Thanks so much for that info and apologies for my delay in getting back to you here.

I've been able to use the information on what you wanted to see in the platform, why it matters for your business, and what you've been doing as an alternative to file requests for both of these features internally on your behalf. 

Our Changelog page is always a great resource to keep an eye on for any updates to the platform released in the future.

Thanks again for taking the time to let us know how we can make Shopify work better for you!

Seacliff_Cody
1 0 0

Hi Don,

I'm deeply interested in this as well. We use a payment provider that offers a laybuy type service, but they take 6% of our revenue. Being able to pass this on to the customers who use it and not the rest would be a godsend.

Thanks

Don
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
2029 140 268

Hi there @Seacliff_Cody!

Thanks for adding your feedback here on this topic!

I've filed a request for this again based on the specific info you shared here, so thank you again for taking the time to share it.

The more requests for a given functionality, the more likely it will be for consideration for addition to the platform in the future.

While we can't confirm if a specific request will be granted or when this does seem to be a frequent one, so hopefully we'll see it join the updates over on our Changelog page someday.

All the best!

mabbgpaper
1 0 0

This is something we are looking to do as well. In our area most small business are doing this and using a 3rd party. It would be phenomenal to be able to do it automatically or as an option with Shopify payments. We do not want to go to a 3rd party to be able to do this. I hope this can be something that is done quickly and I have seen multiple forums asking for this option. 

PeterPens
2 0 1

Hi there,

We are also interested in such a feature. We should be able to configure this in your application rather than going to third party apps. I don't trust the apps when it comes to the final check out page where they are entering payment information.

Kind regards,
Peter