Solved

Custom deployment & environments

whereismytie1
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi,

1) For my Shopify store, Is there an app or other way to deploy only certain changes so the whole production doesn't get overwritten. The use case is that say the site needed to be restored from last week backup, but you don't want to overwrite the blog posts that were written in that week, can I use GitHub actions or some method of custom deployment?

2) Ideally would like Dev, Staging and Production where we can deploy from one environment to another.

Thanks

Accepted Solution (1)

PaulNewton
Shopify Partner
6275 574 1324

This is an accepted solution.

@whereismytie1 wrote:

1) For my Shopify store, Is there an app or other way to deploy only certain changes so the whole production doesn't get overwritten.

This feels like you've left out critical info. What are you doing that would overrite an entire store, if your running a sync through the api can't you control it granularly?

@whereismytie1 wrote:

The use case is that say the site needed to be restored from last week backup, but you don't want to overwrite the blog posts that were written in that week, 

Shopify has no native backup system like that.

Whatever undefined custom process your using is it just needs to made smarter to be able to selective not overwrite everything or have the relevant data from production sync'd in already.

An alternate is use an app like rewind.io to rollback individual resources.

Naturally you should test this before a full overwrite.

Save time & money ,Ask Questions The Smart Way

Confused? Busy? Get the solution you need paull.newton+shopifyforum@gmail.com

Problem Solved? ✔Accept and Like solutions to help future merchants

Answers powered by coffee Buy Paul a Coffee for more answers or donate to eff.org

View solution in original post

Reply 1 (1)

PaulNewton
Shopify Partner
6275 574 1324

This is an accepted solution.

@whereismytie1 wrote:

1) For my Shopify store, Is there an app or other way to deploy only certain changes so the whole production doesn't get overwritten.

This feels like you've left out critical info. What are you doing that would overrite an entire store, if your running a sync through the api can't you control it granularly?

@whereismytie1 wrote:

The use case is that say the site needed to be restored from last week backup, but you don't want to overwrite the blog posts that were written in that week, 

Shopify has no native backup system like that.

Whatever undefined custom process your using is it just needs to made smarter to be able to selective not overwrite everything or have the relevant data from production sync'd in already.

An alternate is use an app like rewind.io to rollback individual resources.

Naturally you should test this before a full overwrite.

Save time & money ,Ask Questions The Smart Way

Confused? Busy? Get the solution you need paull.newton+shopifyforum@gmail.com

Problem Solved? ✔Accept and Like solutions to help future merchants

Answers powered by coffee Buy Paul a Coffee for more answers or donate to eff.org