Custom Line Item Properties Disappear with Shop Pay

maxcamey
Shopify Partner
9 0 5

Hello! 

I was wondering if anyone had experienced this issue and found a solution?

We have a store where almost every product has custom line item properties. However, we have noticed that if a customer uses Shop Pay to check out, sometimes those custom line item properties get lost. They show in the checkout, but once someone uses the Shop Pay quick checkout, the line items are gone.

They also do not appear in the orders screen in the admin panel. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

1.png

2.png

Replies 13 (13)

chipkeyes88
Shopify Partner
14 3 13

Hi there @maxcamey we've been seeing the same thing with merchants using our application. This is pretty impactful since so many people use Shop Pay and our app relies on line item properties being present. 

Has anyone at Shopify looked into this at all?

maxcamey
Shopify Partner
9 0 5

Hi @chipkeyes88 ,

I haven't been able to get a hold of anyone at Shopify. I hope we get confirmation that this behavior is known soon.

Tanenobu
Shopify Partner
10 2 8

Is the URL of the checkout page /checkout/c/? 

We have seen a similar problem with Amazon Pay and have confirmed that this occurs when the user is directed to /checkout/c/.

Guessing it's AB testing on Shopify's part or something.

Here is a similar discussion, written in Japanese though.

https://community.shopify.com/c/%E7%B7%8F%E5%90%88%E7%9A%84%E3%81%AA%E3%83%87%E3%82%A3%E3%82%B9%E3%8...

maxcamey
Shopify Partner
9 0 5

Hi @Tanenobu ,

Yes, the checkout page is /checkout/c/. We do not have Amazon Pay enabled on our store, so I cannot confirm that, but maybe it has to do with all the quick pay options then. We are experiencing this on Shop Pay and Shop Pay installments. Do you know if there is a way around it? We haven't had it happen since I originally posted this, but it would be great to have a confirmation that it has been resolved.

Tanenobu
Shopify Partner
10 2 8

Thanks for your reply. I am in the process of contacting support regarding this matter.

I believe both Amazon Pay and Shop Pay are caused by the same reason.

the following is my guess.

- For a period of time, Shopify will transition the checkout to /checkout/c/ for a particular device environment. (maybe for AB testing or something)

- When using an external payment service, Shopify transitions once from /checkout/c/ to /checkout/. (because the redirect URL must be matched)

- Product information is copied when transitioning from Checkout/c/, but information such as line item properties or cart attribution is missing at that time. (I have confirmed such behavior)

I am 100% sure this is a problem on Shopify's part. The workaround now is to turn off Shop Pay for specific devices, but this would not be practical. We don't touch the checkout page so the workaround is just about off. Let's wait for the fix.

maxcamey
Shopify Partner
9 0 5

I am glad you were able to get in touch with them. If possible, please let us know when you hear it is resolved. Thanks for your help! 

Tanenobu
Shopify Partner
10 2 8

good news. Shopify technical support reported that the problem has been fixed.

maxcamey
Shopify Partner
9 0 5

Perfect! Thanks for the update!

Megz1422
Visitor
2 0 1

Hello, I'm having the same problem on my store at the moment. I'm doing a rental app and the rental days disappear on Shop Pay checkout. 

andibuyz
Excursionist
16 1 5

This problem has not been resolved we are still seeing the problem on an intermittent basis. Like all the commenters on this thread the line item properties are vital to the working of our webstore.

SHOPIFY please note this is not fixed and needs addressing

maxcamey
Shopify Partner
9 0 5

We have also once again started experiencing this, much less frequently now though. @Tanenobu would you happen to know if the issue is still going on on Shopify's side? 

pablogiralt
Shopify Partner
2 0 0

We are experiencing this issue right now

AlexPedini
Tourist
5 0 4

yeah the problem is still happening... also our app relies on custom attributes set on the cart, that need to be copied over to the order, but whenever we try to use AmazonPay the cart gets redirected (and I think a new cart is created) and the properties are not copied over...