Dawn theme - Change font weight

RC7
Excursionist
18 1 2

Hi,

I am trying to customize the Dawn theme, but what I notice is that even if I pick the right font size and family that I want, the font looks lighter than on the Debut theme.
Does anyone know where I could change the font weight? 

Replies 8 (8)

Elias
Shopify Staff
2805 274 490

Hi, @RC7.

Thank you for reaching out and posting this question!

I understand you're looking to change the font weight for the Dawn theme. You can try changing the font weight in the Typography section of your theme's settings. The setting looks something like this:

27-35-29318-21492

If you're unable to find the right font weight using this method, then this is something that our Theme Support team can help you with. If your store is subscribed to a plan, you're eligible to use the complimentary design time included with your subscription on customizing your theme. While we’re not able to provide account-specific support via the Shopify Community at this time, our Support team would be happy to assist you with a customization request through live chat, email, or callback. Please visit the Shopify Help Center and log in to your account to create a support request.

I'd love to know if this is what you're looking for or whether our Theme Support can help you with this. Keep me posted!

Elias | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

LitExtension
Shopify Partner
4860 1001 1135

Hi @RC7,

I checked and the Dawn theme font weight was gotten automatically according to the font you choose.

However, you can still change it at layout > theme.liquid file. https://i.imgur.com/wxIm2yx.png

Hope it helps!

If my answer can help you solve your issue. Please mark it as a solution, thank you and good luck.

LitExtension - Shopping Cart Migration Expert
Check out our Shopify migration app to migrate your online store to Shopify
RC7
Excursionist
18 1 2

@Elias Ok, thanks. I might reach out. 
I saw the standard options there but I'm not getting the normal font weight I'm used to from using Debut theme like that.

@LitExtension Thanks for the tip. However, where exactly do I type the number there, e.g. 500? What do I need to overwrite?
Do I just remove that whole part you marked in red and simply replace it with a number?

LitExtension
Shopify Partner
4860 1001 1135

Hi @RC7,

You just need to overwrite it, ex:

--font-body-weight: {{ settings.type_body_font.weight }};
=>
--font-body-weight: 500;

Hope it is clear to you.

If my answer can help you solve your issue, please mark it as a solution. Thank you and good luck!

LitExtension - Shopping Cart Migration Expert
Check out our Shopify migration app to migrate your online store to Shopify
RC7
Excursionist
18 1 2

Thanks. Yeah, I tried that meanwhile and unfortunately it didn't solve the issue.
It did change the weight if I put 550 for example but it became very heavy abruptly. I also tried less. Seems like there's no way of doing this precisely like that.
I now raised this with Shopify support.

diego_ezfy
Shopify Partner
2958 568 891

@RC7 

The font weight varies from font to font. They are between 100 to 900 and always a multiple of 100. (100, 200, 300, ..., 900). (source).

Some fonts will have the 300 and 500, others 300, 400, 500, 600, others just one of them, etc. 
Your control of the font's weight is limited to what is available with the specific font you are using.

Kind regards,
Diego

RC7
Excursionist
18 1 2

Thanks.

Actually, I now figured out that the issue is probably not the font weight but the letter spacing. It's very excessive compared to how the same font looks in Debut. Do you know where I can adjust it?

diego_ezfy
Shopify Partner
2958 568 891

@RC7 

I'd need to see the website.