DNS: Shopify Hosted domain, pointing A record to new host. Do I need to leave shop.myshopify.com?

DennisKr
Tourist
9 0 1

Hi! 

I built a headless store and right now I am changing the DNS settings to go live. The domain is a shopify hosted domain, and I pointed the A record to the servers of Gatsby Cloud. They say I also need to change the CNAME record, but this CNAME record is shops.myshopify.com. I guess I need to leave this or else checkout etc would be unavailable?

And why I still see my old website.. I tried flushing my DNS, but it did not help.

Replies 3 (3)

Hilary
Shopify Staff (Retired)
551 79 131

Hi, @DennisKr 

Since you haven't received any replies here so far, I tried to do some digging on this topic for you, even though it's a little out of our Support wheelhouse. 

For a headless store, you'll need to have a domain pointing to the storefront (not our IP). Then, you'll need to add a subdomain, such as checkout.store.com, which points to our IP for the checkout. 

You'll have your A record point to Gatsby (as you have), and then your CNAME points to your custom domain so customers don't see the "myshopify.com" version of your domain at checkout, instead they'll see checkout.store.com. 

From what I can understand, it sounds like you just need a subdomain pointing to our IP at this point. See how that goes and let us know. 

As well, if you've found a solution in the mean time, I'd love to hear it!

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

DennisKr
Tourist
9 0 1

Thank you for your great answer!

What I have done so far:

My domain is a Shopify Hosted domain, so I created a subdomain inside Shopify Settings, as you told me to do, right?

c189cda6f3f2792c562b35a163be38c6

I can't set the IP of this subdomain, is that right? So the only thing I have to do now is to change my CNAME on the main domain to checkout.*domain*.com ? I see two CNAMES right now, hopefully you can point me out which one to edit/delete:

name: checkout | shops.myshopify.com

name: www | shops.myshopify.com

DennisKr
Tourist
9 0 1

One last question to clarify. I think everything works but I just want to make sure this is the correct setup.

My domain is bought through Shopify. Inside the Shopify Domain settings, I added a subdomain (checkout.myshopifydomain.com). When I look at the DNS settings I see this cname (checkout) pointing to shops.myshopify.com. This is correct right? I should not point this to an IP or something?