Does anyone know when we moved dns entries from 23.227.38.32 to 23.227.38.65.

riptorn
Tourist
10 0 6

I didn't know it changed and just did the switch yesterday with what looks like a speed improvement for some reason. 

Still trying to figure out why it would increase speed. Unless it goes to a different bank of servers. 

Replies 9 (9)

Level_3_Expert
Trailblazer
147 9 12

once your domain is connected and verified on shopify backend you are all good to go. it takes few hours to move dns entries to your shopify store

The Leader Media, Shopify Agency for Brands
Hire Us- Email: support@theleadermedia.com, WhatsApp: +917012490592 - Skype: live:197268f709e05aec

AsiaSell
Excursionist
50 0 5

After enquiring with Shopify about an SSL issue which is causing the https://www prefix to not work and which can apparently can cause duplicate content, I was told to check with my domain provider that the A record was set to the 65 one, but it was the 32 one. Is it possible that this has affected my traffic? Your post was about a year ago and the change was made sometime before that and no-one has answered the question yet. 

I found a Shopify help file (https://help.shopify.com/en/manual/online-store/domains/managing-domains/troubleshooting) saying Shopify can switch between ip addresses (65 and 32 and others) at any time and we can see the current ip address at by going to Shopify admin, go to Online Store > Domains > DNS Settings and then check the A record section. Well, we can't see the current IP address there so there's another help file out of date. I wanted to confirm that it is 65 and would probably want to check in the future?

I will go further and say that if I transfer my domain to shopify and pay the more exorbitant domain rates would they make this automatic and is it necessary?

Nick
Shopify Staff (Retired)
4531 434 1024

Hi @riptorn,

This would make sense when you moved the domain to Shopify from your service provider. The Shopify IP address which you're supposed to send it to is the number sequence you listed: 

11-59-z65y6-zvux5

You can see the full instructions for this in the guide for connecting third party domains here

It's more than likely a different server which would explain the difference in speed. Great to hear it's faster now! If you have any other questions about this or setting up your store, don't hesitate to let me know. 

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

AsiaSell
Excursionist
50 0 5

Hi Nick. You responded to the OP but the question was over a year ago and my question was a few days ago. Do you know about mine?

Nick
Shopify Staff (Retired)
4531 434 1024

Hi @AsiaSell,

According to the main doc for adding a domain to Shopify the 65 one seems to work best. Can I ask what exaclty you're looking for? Is it to get the SSL certificate or to just add your domain to a Shopify store

If you already own the domain, it won't cost any extra to move it to Shopify: 

I will go further and say that if I transfer my domain to shopify and pay the more exorbitant domain rates would they make this automatic and is it necessary?

Have you already purchased the domain you want to use? Once I know more about your situation I can help you figure out the next steps. Looking forward to hearing from you! 

AsiaSell
Excursionist
50 0 5

Thanks Nick. I have a domain not that was not purchased through Shopify and for one thing I was wondering if it would resolve some issues if I transferred it over. The issue I see is that the https://www. version of the domain doesn't load (it says "your connection is not private") and in a report I received it says that this can cause duplicate content. From what you said it sounds like we can be on either 32 or 65. I asked if it mattered because I was told to check with the registrar that I was on 65, but I was on 32. I wonder if the https://www issue has something to do with it. I was also pointing out the incorrect or out of date information in the help file because in Shopify admin I could not see how to check what my number was. Oh, and if it secretly changes again then do I need to inform the registrar. Do you have knowledge on this?

Nick
Shopify Staff (Retired)
4531 434 1024

Hi @AsiaSell,

Can I ask where you're seeing the IP address which ends in 32? The Shopify IP address 23.227.38.65.

If you have a domain from a third party domain host and follow the steps in this guide here. Please add both the https://www domain and the domain without it to enable both kinds. 

If you'd like someone on our support team to take a closer look with you in real time via live chat, callback, please click here and log in. We can't look into account specifics via the Community for privacy and security reasons. 

mistyhenry
Visitor
1 0 2

Hi Nick. It's yet another year gone by and I had the same question as AsiaSell (which is how I found this thread).  From what I'm gathering, if you had attached your domain pre-2020, the address ended in 32 and at some point in 2020 Shopify changed over to 65 and we should update accordingly for better service.  I presume this to be the case because I attached mine to Shopify in November 2019 and I know I followed Shopify's instructions at that time.

So I guess for anyone else wondering: Shopify used to be 32, then changed to 65 and if your address ends in 32, now is the time to update it to 65.

Flatlandsmetal
Visitor
1 0 0

Hello,

I was researching this topic, because my website will not load.  A few days ago, I attempted to verify my website with Google.  The next morning the website would not load. The info button infront of url states that my website is not secure. Also, when log onto Shopify it states that my domain is ' in progress'.  I have had a finished website for over a year and also selling product from this website.  Now, today, I have an alert that my domain requires attention.  When I checked the DNS A RECORD, my 'Points to' is 23.227.38.67 NOT '65'. Can I just change the number and it will fix everything?

Thanks for any help I can get!

Lisa