forwarding email.png

DNS records.png

  

Accepted Solution (1)

Rein
Shopify Staff (Retired)
324 33 48

This is an accepted solution.

Hi, @watchhooze 

I understand you have just set up email forwarding and are looking to find out why the forwarding itself is not working. 

Having a look, your settings do seem correct, have you followed this guide here?

From there, the next would be to modify the SPF settings of your Shopify Domain.

To help ensure that email messages are forwarded to your destination email address successfully, add an SPF record to your Shopify-managed custom domain.

Steps

1. From your Shopify admin, go to Settings > Domains.

2. Click the domain that you set up your custom email forwarding address for.

3. Click Domain settings > Edit DNS settings.

4. Click Add custom record, and then click TXT Record.

5. Enter @ as the Name.

6. Enter v=spf1 include:_spf.hostedemail.com ~all as the TXT value.

7. Click Confirm.

Once done this can take up to 24 hours to propagate, so if you have already done this step it could just be a matter of time. Can you tell me if all the above steps were performed?

If so, let's do one final test. 

Steps

1. Log in to a different email account than the one you set up as your forwarding email address.

2. Send a test email message to each of the custom domain email addresses that you created. For example info@johns-apparel.com.

3. Log in to your forwarding email account. For example, john@gmail.com.

4. Check that your messages are displayed in your inbox.

If this works or does not work, please do let me know and we can work on a solution going forward. 

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

View solution in original post

Replies 5 (5)

Rein
Shopify Staff (Retired)
324 33 48

This is an accepted solution.

Hi, @watchhooze 

I understand you have just set up email forwarding and are looking to find out why the forwarding itself is not working. 

Having a look, your settings do seem correct, have you followed this guide here?

From there, the next would be to modify the SPF settings of your Shopify Domain.

To help ensure that email messages are forwarded to your destination email address successfully, add an SPF record to your Shopify-managed custom domain.

Steps

1. From your Shopify admin, go to Settings > Domains.

2. Click the domain that you set up your custom email forwarding address for.

3. Click Domain settings > Edit DNS settings.

4. Click Add custom record, and then click TXT Record.

5. Enter @ as the Name.

6. Enter v=spf1 include:_spf.hostedemail.com ~all as the TXT value.

7. Click Confirm.

Once done this can take up to 24 hours to propagate, so if you have already done this step it could just be a matter of time. Can you tell me if all the above steps were performed?

If so, let's do one final test. 

Steps

1. Log in to a different email account than the one you set up as your forwarding email address.

2. Send a test email message to each of the custom domain email addresses that you created. For example info@johns-apparel.com.

3. Log in to your forwarding email account. For example, john@gmail.com.

4. Check that your messages are displayed in your inbox.

If this works or does not work, please do let me know and we can work on a solution going forward. 

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

watchhooze
Tourist
11 1 1

Hi, Rein

Thank you did everything as you said and now working 🙂 

Thank you very much 🙂

EugeneArencibia
Visitor
2 0 1

Hello,

That worked, but why did this happen?

I am very concerned that I must have missed many emails from my customers!

Please let me know if we need to continue to do this all the time and why did this happen?

Eugene 

CyndyB
Visitor
1 0 0

I've just found this solution as I was experiencing the same issue today.  I've not had a problem receiving the forwarded emails before but I don't know when it stopped. I followed your instructions above and it worked.  But it looks like the test emails I tried for the 30 minutes or so before that, haven't come through.  Does this mean they could be lost in the ether and could this issue happen again? I don't want to lose potential sales and queries if the emails are going missing at random times. 

ClaytonHaigh
Visitor
2 0 0

I will Echo other replies here by asking why this occurred and how we will know if it happens again.  (I see now that Rein is "Retired" and so this might be falling on dead ears.)  I have been experiencing this problem for maybe 6 months at this point but still receive regular emails from my customers every day forwarded from my Shopify email.  Every few weeks I have a customer call me or get in touch through other means to let me know that their email was bounced back to them.  Who knows how many potential customers are just giving up after the bounce back?  Furthermore, how do you test a solution to a problem that occurs seemingly at random?  I have followed the steps outlined in this thread and managed to receive a forwarded email but that tells me nothing about whether or not the problem is solved.  I get forwarded emails every day!  Shopify support has been less than helpful throughout.  I would have jumped to another service long ago but my business is now intrinsically linked to this company.  If I had known how difficult Shopify would make it for my customers to simply contact me, I would have never trusted them with my brand.