Excess code from deleted apps needs to be removed.

EcomSocialle
Tourist
6 0 1

Hello,

im running a store on debutify and since I tested and deleted a few apps, the website is running slow and I know this is a big I'm-not comfortable getting rid of excess code myself.

store: www.smartdetectr.com

Replies 7 (7)

David_Weru
Shopify Partner
177 16 43

Hello @EcomSocialle,

On the code editor, you can revert to earlier versions of code on the files you edited.  

Message me if you'd like further assistance.

EcomSocialle
Tourist
6 0 1

Thanks for the reply will reverting to the original code mess up anything in my current store? 

Could I get help with this?

David_Weru
Shopify Partner
177 16 43

It's a simple fix.

Make a duplicate of your theme, and revert to the old code.  If something breaks, just revert to the theme you copied for backup.

If that still doesn't fix it, contact me.  Something else may be slowing down your site.

EcomSocialle
Tourist
6 0 1

Okay I’ll do this now to see what happens. Thanks. 

EcomSocialle
Tourist
6 0 1
Everything is showing current.

So I’ll need to figure out what’s slowing down my store. 
David_Weru
Shopify Partner
177 16 43

Use this tool to see what slows down your page.

https://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/insights/

If the problem isn't highlighted there, your site may need optimizing (removing redundancies, optimizing code).

That takes a bit of time, so I offer it as a service. 

JohnCodes
Shopify Partner
134 10 73

Hi @EcomSocialle 

Here is what I'd recommend when wanting to find/remove old app code:

• Go into your main theme files (theme.liquid, product.liquid, etc) and just scroll through to see if you notice any code related to the apps you deleted.
  • I know you mentioned you aren't comfortable removing code yourself, but this method will at least potentially lead to you finding out if any old app code exists.
  • You could also run a scan on webpagetest.org of your various website pages. The report will show you all the resources being loaded on the page. It can be a little time-intensive, but you could go through the list of resources to see if there are any files related to an app you deleted.
  • If you want to make any changes to your code, make sure you duplicate your theme first. This way if something goes wrong it won't disturb your live site.

Those are some methods you could use to try and identify if old app code exists.

I also ran your homepage through the Shopify Analyzer (free tool our team built for the community) to see if there were any other optimization opportunities. 

Your site is scoring decently well, it could just benefit from some improved lazy loading. You can view your full report at https://analyze.speedboostr.com/result/g01hgmag9h. We have a blog post on the topic if you'd like to learn more or you want to try and implement it yourself: How to Lazy Load Images on Shopify to Make Your Site Faster.

I hope this was helpful. If you'd like further assistance, feel free to reach out to our optimization team at speedboostr.com/contact.

Developer at SpeedBoostr (Shopify optimization and dev agency).
Try out our Shopify Analyzer (free performance analysis tool).
Check out Order Automator (app that auto tags + fulfills orders, and more automation)
More Apps: Theme Scientist (A/B testing tool), Tip Jar (add a tip button to your store), File Optimizer (optimize CSS, JS, Liquid)