Facebook Pixel Error: Server External ID Not Matching to Pixel External ID for Purchase Event

lorenzopohl
Shopify Partner
21 1 15

Hi there,

I know this is more on the facebook site but i hope someone can help me since i am not getting the same data in shopify than i get in facebook for my ad campaigns.

The Facebook Pixel says there is this error on the purchase event:

lorenzopohl_0-1623855854638.pnglorenzopohl_1-1623855869425.png

Any ideas on how to fix this problem and if this is related to my facebook ads data not showing up correctly in the marketing section in my shopify account?

Replies 71 (71)
dmitrybzns
Tourist
8 0 2

I do get sales, and no errors but checking data is almost impossible. Today out of 6 sales I only see 2 in FB ads manager. While UTM's show that all 6 came from Fb ads.

I assume if pixel sees only 2 sales then it doesn't take other 4 into the optimization.

I also checked operating system this sales came in, and Android sales also not being counted. 

am2288
Visitor
1 0 0

Things seem to have gone quiet on this for a week or so now. I'm currently experiencing these issues too in event manager. Anyone have any updates?

Steven_Gross
Visitor
3 0 0

Did this ever get resolved? It just seems like there are a lot of open tickets around this topic...

Steven_Gross
Visitor
3 0 0
Derelicte
Excursionist
33 1 4

I just started having this issue this week 😞

okimaslatt
6 0 0

@Jeff211 I'm newer to FB ads when you say 2 received and 2 discarded does that mean that its working as intended? Thanks

Jeff211
Tourist
7 0 5

@okimaslatt Nope! It means that Shopify successfully sent Facebook the conversion data and Facebook discarded it all and showed 0 conversions. 

Halo123456
6 0 0

Hi, were you able to resolve this? Mine comes and goes away and then it finally came back and stayed that way.

Spartanc
Tourist
9 0 1

Hi all,

I just started to have this problem yesterday.

If anyone has any updates please share.

Thanks!

FTFWC
Visitor
1 0 0

I also got this error only today. Even though I had customer purchases and the purchase event detected them, I am not able to view this data in my ad campaign and it's difficult to attribute the purchases to a specific ad set!

I don't know if this is related to the error but I'm assuming it is.

image_2021-10-09_231514.png

is there an update on this issue?

MORE10
Excursionist
33 1 8

Hello how does this issues working out?

revoplus
Visitor
1 0 1

Also having this issue on one of our stores now, for all of our events. Any solutions? Shopify Plus support said everything is OK with their API so  only solution is to post on the forum.

revoplus_0-1649363824707.png

antanas321
Visitor
2 0 0

Same here. Did you find a solution?

pierre-oord
Tourist
7 0 3

For a while I used Elevar. It seems to work (although not all checkout pages are accessible), but I still had some doubts. We've just completed the switch back to Woocommerce, and it's a bless. We see more conversions already on our Facebook pixel. Also, multi language issues are all gone, as well as tax VAT issues. The javascript client-side calculations made Google unhappy for pricing and reviews. It's more maintenance, but at least it works.

Puda
Shopify Partner
17 1 7

Looks like an issue on either the FB and/or Shopify side. It also just started around the same date for one of my stores. It's been 18 days now. I won't complain much because it has no impact on the sales. (In fact, sales have been up by 40%. Most likely unrelated though)

ccharlie114
Visitor
2 0 0

Hey I tried to solved it but like you either Facebook or Shopify that are not helpful. // Maybe in the settings of Facebook, maybe in automatic advanced matching parameters try to keep only with parameterssuch as name,surname, email address ? for me i always have the problem "server sending external id but not pixel". By the way are you sure that the pixel helper in your printscreen the right side one is from shopify native connection or from some third party app connection?

sawgerrera
Tourist
8 0 1

I just got reply from FB support team. 

"Thank you for reaching out to let us know about the problem you are having with Pixel.

Please explain the client that this error is about Deduplication, If you connect website activity using both the Pixel and Conversions API, we may receive the same events from the browser and the server. If we know that the events are the same and therefore redundant, we can keep one and discard the rest. Here , I can see that in the client account all the events are shared between browser and server.

About the error, Client is sending the parameters for PageView event and View content event from the server, but not sending the same parameter for these events from the pixel code. In order to solve this issues client or the clients web developer should add 2 event parameters that help us determine if the events are the same: the event name (for example, Page view or View content) and the event ID.This helps the pixel for deduplication issue."

Yurii_K2
Tourist
4 0 1

If you use automatic built-in integration Shopify with Facebook, then the incorrect value of the parameter content_ids passes to the Pixel. So you can see the issue.

Solution - to turn off automatic built-in integration Shopify with Facebook, to take the application for creating a feed for Facebook Catalog (for exampledatafeedwatch), install the Google Tag Manager (GTM), and manually set up the correct transfer value of parameters to Facebook Pixel using dataLayer and javaScript.

This is the only solution to this mistake that I know of.

CharlieZEV
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi oh that looks so complicated, think the automatic integration and the server external id doesn't impact a lot on final campaigns results right?

Yurii_K2
Tourist
4 0 1

Incorrect external id affects dynamic ads. In particular on dynamic retargeting.
If the external id is incorrect you can't show users of your site products, which they looked.

It is not complicated if to know how to do it. 🙂 Write to me in private if you need help.

NCF
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi, Yurii
Is this solution still viable?
Are you able to help?
Regards,

LW2012
Visitor
1 0 0

Yurii, I cannot DM you, could you help with this topic please?