I have translated all my store without any problem, but these two properties are being impossible to update, can someone help me?
Nick here from Shopify. Really good question!
Can I ask what page this is on your store exactly? If you could link the page in a reply that would be greatly appreciated. If you could also let me know how you translated the rest of the store too. For example, did you do it with the use of an app like Langify or mainly through the language settings in the admin?
With this information, it will be much easier to troubleshoot this and help find a solution for you.
Looking forward to hearing from you.
All the best, Nick
The text properties mentioned are in "account", in the order history of users. Regarding your other question, the store has translated it through the language configuration provided by shopify, I have not used any external application. If you need more information, tell me. I wait your answer.
Apologies for the delay in getting back to you about this.
Ah ok, so just to confirm, your store is based in English but you used the language configuration in the admin settings and translated everything through there?
The reason I ask and want to be sure is that some Shopify themes have a language switcher which will translate your theme and because if you translate the store through the admin, it won't allow every aspect of the store to be translated which is what I think has happened for you here. Shopify has a helpful guide for this also which you can see here as well as a translation creation for your theme here should your theme not have the feature.
The other option you could look into is to use an app from the Shopify App Store. Two apps which come to my mind straight away for this are Langify and Weglot Translate. Either through changing the admin settings or via an app, you should be able to fully translate all aspects of the store like you are looking to do.
Hope this helps!
This is an old issue, but I faced the same recently and I could fix it by mapping the values received for "financial_status" and "fulfillment_status" into matching translated text in Customers/account.liquid
. It seems it was parsed as it is before.
See screenshot below, you need to add the translation in related language json file (en.json, es.json or else)