Help with domain/online store

Solved
sassymombout
Tourist
10 1 0

I recently switched from Wordpress to Shopify and am still on the free trial to make sure everything is set up correctly. 

I was designing my website and added my domain via Ionos. Everything says connected but the next day my online store looked liked this every time I log in
Screen Shot 2021-06-29 at 5.11.55 PM.png

No matter what, anytime I try to preview my store I either get the generic "coming soon" page or an error page. I'm not able to put in my password to view my store. I checked the DNS settings and they seem to be correct. One big difference is that the A record says 23.227.38.32 instead of .65 like in the tutorial. There is no other A record.
I also cannot edit my theme anymore because of this. Can anyone help with what could be wrong? Thank you.

0 Likes
David_Weru
Trailblazer
153 14 32

Contact support.  I could think of a number of things that could lead to this, but shopify support will tell you exactly what is happening with your account.

0 Likes
sassymombout
Tourist
10 1 0

This is an accepted solution.

Thank you! I figured out how to contact support and we got it all straightened out.

0 Likes
Moira
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
203 37 38

This is an accepted solution.

Hey, @sassymombout!

This is Moira from the Social Care team at Shopify. Thanks for posting, and a very warm welcome to the platform!

I understand you are having some trouble connecting your domain to your website. I'd be more than happy to look into this for you and see what may be causing the issue.

Thank you for providing us a screenshot of what you see via your theme section. It appears that you may need to adjust some of the domain records again to resolve this error. You will need to edit the DNS settings in the domain host's (IONOS) account to:

• Point the A (@) record to Shopify's IP address, which is 23.227.38.65

• Point the CNAME (www) record to shops.myshopify.com

Just to give you an insight into what might of happened. The error is showing when the domain is still connected to another store (WordPress) via the wrong A Record (23.227.38.32). Once you update this, your website should be back up and running! Ensure that this is the only A Record listed, multiple A Records will cause further issues. Here is a guide that walks you through the steps on how to connect a third-party domain to your Shopify website.

TIP: If you want to manage all of your domain settings directly in your Shopify admin without accessing IONOS, you can also transfer your domain to Shopify. You will then be able to adjust your domain settings, create subdomains, pay for your domain, and renew your domain on the Domains page.

If you find that updating the A Record makes no difference, it looks like we’ll need to access your account to resolve this issue. While we’re not able to provide account-specific support via the Shopify Community at this time, we’d be happy to continue assisting you through live chat, email, or callback. Please visit https://bit.ly/3cJkx8V and log in to your account to create a support request.

Let us know how you get on with the steps above, I’m happy to answer any questions you think of as you work on your business.

Cheers

Moira | Social Care @ Shopify
- Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know!
- Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
- To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
sassymombout
Tourist
10 1 0

This was exactly the issue. I was able to connect with support a while back and they walked me through everything!🥰

0 Likes
Moira
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
203 37 38

I am glad our Support team was able to help you with this, thanks again for posting in the community! Don't hesitate to reach back out if you require any further assistance as you continue to work on your store. 

TIP: I thought I would also drop you the link to Shopify Compass - Business e-Learning and Training. Not enough merchants know about this and it's such a good resource for you and your business no matter where you are with your store. I’d definitely recommend bookmarking it and checking it out when you have time.

All the best,

Moira | Social Care @ Shopify
- Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know!
- Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
- To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes