How can I fix a hacked website with indexing issues?

JelenaAllen
Tourist
5 0 4

September 5, 2022 - I received a message from Google Search Console on 9/3/22 stating that 1 page has an indexing issue and provided this error code: "Excluded by ‘noindex’ tag". Here's the page that the indexing issue is referencing (you'll see the URL is super long and weird". I never created this page. It's embedded in my website somehow and shows the following verbiage: 

JelenaAllen_0-1662403015484.png

I tried to see if any Vendors were set up and there aren't any. I have no idea how to fix this.

I did notice that someone using Chrome on a MAC was logged into my account as of 8/31/22. I logged them out and changed my password. I also saw that Yoast SEO changed my working site copy on 9/2/22, but the description is vague. Here is a screen shot:

JelenaAllen_1-1662403297430.png

I'm not sure if these are all related, but there seems to be a security issue with Shopify. Please help me get rid of this unauthorized page on my website.

Replies 4 (4)

Nyshawn
Shopify Partner
91 3 3

I would start by checking the theme code to see if there is any reference to this page. I would also check for any apps that may be creating it.

banned
JelenaAllen
Tourist
5 0 4
Is there a recommended way to see if any apps are creating it? I only use a handful of standard well known apps, so I’m not sure how to determine if it’s an app that created it.

Also, if my theme was adjusted, wouldn’t that mean my Shopify account was hacked? And how would that happen? Is there a security issue with Shopify? I’ve seen others have posted in the Shopify community having the same problem but resolution yet. It’s quite worrisome.

Thank you for your help.

Nyshawn
Shopify Partner
91 3 3

I'd also look at your Google Analytics and Search Console data for the last few months (or longer) and see if you can find a pattern of traffic or other activity related to this URL. If you have access logs from your server, those might help too - especially since they'll show what IP addresses are accessing these URLs on your site (and whether they're coming from Shopify's servers).

banned

Sid_Yoast
Shopify Partner
27 1 6

Hi Jelena,

The change you see by Yoast is not related to what you are experiencing, but there is another thread in the community related to this issue: https://community.shopify.com/c/shopify-discussions/has-my-site-been-hacked/td-p/1680367

Shopify does not identify this as a threat to your store in any way, but I suggest contacting Shopify's support and see if there is anything else they can add in your case.

I hope this helps!