How can I restrict shipping on certain products to a single state

salon_jen
6 0 0

Hello

For a set of products, I need to restrict shipping outside of my state (Virginia).

I followed the instructions for creating a shipping profile, and added Virginia as the only state in that profile. However, when I go to check out a product with a ship to of North Carolina, it lets me proceed. 

Is there maybe a way to remove all states from the State drop down where vendor = "x"? 

Thank you in advance for your help!!

Replies 7 (7)

Dirk
Shopify Staff
2217 247 506

Hey, @salon_jen 

When you created the shipping profile for Virginia only, it means that whatever products you added to that shipping profile would be **included** to ship to Virginia. What you would actually want to do is create a shipping profile that includes **every** state you want to ship to. Leave out the ones you do not.

From there, customers should not be able to checkout with those select products from a Virginia address. Let me know if this helps. If there is anything else I can help you with, please let me know.

Dirk | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

salon_jen
6 0 0

Hi Dirk! Thanks for your quick reply.

Hmm ... I tried that, but it still lets me choose any State in the drop down, and lets me proceed to the payment area. For a certain set of products, customers should ONLY be able to choose Virginia.

See attached screenshot.

salon_jen
6 0 0

@Dirk - I forgot to tag you in my follow up question above 🙂

Dirk
Shopify Staff
2217 247 506

Hey @salon_jen 

That's right. You will want one profile for 61 of the 62 states listed (for all of the non-virginia only products) and then a second shipping profile for just Virginia. In that Virginia shipping profile you will only include those Virginia-exclusive products.

What this will do is prevent customers who are not residing in Virginia from checking out of your store with Virginia-exclusive products in their cart.

If there is anything else I can help you with, please let me know.

salon_jen
6 0 0

@Dirk - This still isn't working 😞  I must be doing something wrong. 

I created two shipping profiles:

1. A Virginia profile that has only Virginia listed in the "Shipping to" section. For that profile, there are 80 products selected. Those products can only be shipped to addresses *in* Virginia. However, when I go to checkout, all 50 states are listed in the shipping area.
  2. A non-Virginia profile that has 2 products for now. These products can be shipped anywhere in the U.S., including VA.

Is there another setting I need to update? 

Thanks!

Dirk
Shopify Staff
2217 247 506

Hey, @salon_jen 

Could you provide me with a link to your store? I'd like to check it out on my end. Let me know of a product to try checking out with that is VA only and another product that is not for VA.

salon_jen
6 0 0
shop.salonkhouri.com

Any of the Kevin Murphy products should be restricted to only VA sales.