How long is my freee trial going to last? It got extended for an unknown amount of time.

coff001
Excursionist
39 0 4

Got a message "You are eligible to continue working on your Shopify store for free!" at the bottom of the screen, need to know how long this lasts so I can plan accordingly.

Replies 3 (3)

Finley
Shopify Staff (Retired)
201 26 45

Hey @coff001!

This is Finley from the Social Care team at Shopify.

Thanks for reaching out!

This option to extend the free trial is for 14 days. If you'd like to continue using your Shopify account after the 14 days, you'll want to pick a plan. Please feel free to let us know if you have any questions about selecting a plan.

How is your trial going at the moment? Have you touched on the steps we recommend taking in our guide to getting the most out of your free trial?

You may also be interested in checking out our free courses on Shopify Compass. Our Getting Started with Shopify course walks you through setting up your website, adjusting your store settings, placing a test order on your store, and more!

I do hope this helps but let me know if there's anything I can clarify further.

I hope you're having a wonderful day!

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

coff001
Excursionist
39 0 4

Had 14 day trial then my 14 day extension of the free trial ends tomorrow. I am not ready to launch the store yet and would like to work on other aspects of setup outside of Shopify, then only once I'm done with that, come back to work on Shopify-related things. 

I basically don't want to start paying for Shopify until I absolutely have to since I have a lot of setup to do. So how long can I wait after my trial is over to avoid deletion, or what is the best thing I can do in this situation?

Finley
Shopify Staff (Retired)
201 26 45

Hey @coff001!

To be able to access your Shopify account, a plan would need to be selected.

However, if you don't need access to your account while you get other things sorted, you have a couple of options.

1) If you haven't added a credit card to your Shopify account, you can let your store go into frozen. Once you're ready to return, you can log in and pay for a plan to access your Shopify account. You can double-check if you have a credit card on file under your Shopify admin > Settings > Billing.

2) If you've already added a credit card to your Shopify account, the best way forward is to close your account to prevent any charges to your card. You can follow the steps here to back up certain data and follow the steps here to close your store.

If you have any third-party apps that have your payment information external to Shopify, you'll want to cancel your service with them to prevent any charges.

Please keep in mind that Shopify only guarantees to save your store's data and information if you reopen your store within 90 days of closing your store.

While you step away from your store, you can still use the free educational resources mentioned in my previous message. Studying the material in our Shopify Compass courses may help you when you're ready to get back to building your website.

I hope this helps clarify things!

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.