I need to close one of the stores on my account

I need to close one of the stores on my account

CoCreatedArt
Visitor
2 0 0

I need assistance, I wish to keep my account open but just deactivate one of the stores on my account as I built a new one, please help

Replies 3 (3)

Rick
Shopify Staff
946 90 149

Hey there @CoCreatedArt 

Thanks for reaching out here in the Shopify Community!

I understand that you have multiple Shopify stores, and wish to deactivate one of them so you can focus on another - I can certainly explain how to do this.

It is possible to have multiple stores associated with a single email address, and you can even navigate between them using the store switcher feature after you log in to your Shopify admin. However, if you are not using one of the stores then it certainly makes sense to close it down to avoid further charges and to clean things up a bit.

First of all, it is important that before you close your store, you understand the following:

• Ensure that there are no outstanding charges on the store in question to avoid receiving a bill after trying to deactivate it.
  • Export/save any store information you wish to keep or that is important to you. You can do this by exporting CSV files for things like products & customers or by downloading a copy of your theme for example. You can also export your billing history if you wish to keep it for your accounts.
  • When it comes to third party apps installed on the store that may have your payment information outside of Shopify, we would heavily advise on cancelling the service with those apps to avoid being billed externally after you deactivate your store.
  • Domains - if you purchased a domain through Shopify then you should export it to a third party host to retain control over it. If you have a custom domain that you bought through a third-party, then you should remove it from your Shopify admin.
  • For more detailed information feel free to check out our help center documentation here.

Once you understand the above and are ready to close the store you can follow these simple steps:

1. From your Shopify admin, navigate to Settings > Plan.
  2. Click the red Deactivate store button.
  3. You may see some information pop up - you can click Deactivate store after acknowledging it.
  4. Select a reason for the deactivation, and then click Continue.
  5. You will be prompted to enter your password, after which you can click Deactivate now.

Keep in mind that you can still re-open the store by logging back in and selecting a plan if you change your mind (the store's information is guaranteed for 2 years). 

How is the other, newer store coming along? I would love to hear more about your plans and about the types of products you are selling.

Rick | Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

Caseify
Visitor
1 0 0

Just wondering if these rules and steps still apply today or if there have been any changes to this policy

Rick
Shopify Staff
946 90 149

Hey @Caseify 

Thanks for reaching out here.

I understand that you are wondering if the information in my previous post is still relevant, despite being approximately 1 year old. I'd be happy to help clarify!

After reading back through the information, I can confirm that it is still accurate, and the processes or policies for closing a Shopify store have not changed. You can still navigate to Settings > Plan, and then click the red Deactivate store button to start the process. I also listed some considerations to be aware of before deactivating a store, which can prevent potential issues, so feel free to check those out and be sure you understand them before taking any action.

Are you wondering how to close your own Shopify store? I'd love to hear more about your situation, and the types of challenges you are facing - perhaps I could lend a hand! Our help center has been updated since my above post, and it looks little bit different now. However, we have some great in-depth information that you can check out here to learn more about the process of closing a store.

Let me know if you have any further questions, and I would be happy to assist.

Rick | Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog