Illegal quoting in line 2 and Missing headers Title

Krisn
Tourist
3 0 6

When I download the "sample CSV file" to my computer, I open it and it looks different than in all the tutorials. the text is still in a row, devided by commas. No columns with headings. It looks like this: Handle, TitleBody (HTML), Vendor... all in one field.

So I figured, I have to open it in Excel using the "text import" method. I devide the text by comas and get the regular columns with its shopify headers: Handle | TitleBody (HTML) | Vendor...and so on.

From here on, everything looks normal like seen on all those tutorials. BUT: when I save the changes and try to import the file to shopify, it won't work. Sure, because it's an excel now, not a CSV. So I safe the Excel back to a CSV using the "safe as" tool, choosing CSV (comma delimited). (Tried all other CSV options there as well)

But the file I get will create the following error on shopify when uploading it:

"Illegal quoting in line 2
"Invalid CSV header - Missing headers title"

I read through various post here and on the www, also tried google sheets, asked to hire expert on shopify (but they charge 3k and more (product list from wholesaler are 8k products).

I believe it's not that hard to change the csv-file from the supplier to the template of shopify, if you know what you are doing, unlike me. So i'm really desperate for someone who can help me out? If you could only how to do it for one product, i'm willing to pay for the assistance, so i can do the rest myself.

Hope I can find an answer here and finally start my shopify store before the free trial runs out... Thank you in advance.

Replies 14 (14)

Geneslicer
Visitor
2 0 2

did you get this sorted .. im having the same issue

Chaps
Visitor
2 0 0

Try replacing the double quote char (") with " 
(for any html display field)
reference: https://www.w3.org/wiki/Common_HTML_entities_used_for_typography

cheers

kinwire
Visitor
1 0 0

Anybody any luck or same problem yet ?

All the best

solaro
Shopify Partner
2 0 0

I am having the same issue. Did you find the resolution?
I would really appreciate your help
Thank you

Geneslicer
Visitor
2 0 2

nope i never got this sorted .. i even emailed the shopify support and waited 2 weeks for a response which never came .. i ended up tearing down my site and transferring it over to wix.com which ended up looking like a far superior site once i had finished it and adding products was far more simple

Krisn
Tourist
3 0 6
No help at all, from no one, i closed shopify.
Good luck
api
Tourist
3 0 3

Hi @Krisn I was facing the same issue for the illegal quoting problem as well. My solution is under the Body(HTML) columns in the product csv file. I replace the double quotation marks (") to single quotation (') (Or may be you can try copy the value from this field to notepad and see any weird special character for example my case the special character I have is ❝  which is not allowed in shopify.  

Reference:
https://help.shopify.com/en/manual/products/import-export/common-import-issues#missing-or-stray-quot...

Hope this help. Thank you

Krisn
Tourist
3 0 6
Thank you very much, but i closed down shopify already.
Best of luck
Daniela64
Visitor
1 0 0

It's correct. In fact, in csv file, you have to replace double quote with the single one.

Makeba
Visitor
1 0 0

I don't have any quotes on my csv file and I'm still getting the same 2 error messages ... Can anyone please help?

rafaelgomesmp
Visitor
1 0 4

this is tuema, I was having the same problem. I tried to export via excel and also numbers to .CSV but both gave the same problem.

SOLUTION:
1. Copy and paste the info from the spreadsheet into google sheets
2. Export to CSV and IMPORT
3. Import into Shopify and all is right for you to tweak and sell a lot

Success to you

HannahJim
Visitor
1 0 0

Thank you so much for this reply! I had the same problem and this fixed it. It was literally so easy to do and I didn't at all have to edit the document. I have now succesfully imported my products. Everyone, vote this one up!

Chaps
Visitor
2 0 0

Try replacing the " char with "
worked for me.
Cheers.

Chris-Edwards
Visitor
1 0 1

I found having double double quotes works....

Example... 

,"Carver Slide Track Kit for Bimini Top - 24"" 62000",