Importing CSV client list keeps on showing error "Missing header: Email"

Moomys
5 0 0

Hello, 

I am trying to import my email list and keep getting this error: "Missing header: Email".

I'm importing it from MailChimp to Shopify.

Can anyone help with this? 

Thanks,

Maja

Replies 8 (8)

productsync
Shopify Partner
740 38 159

Hi Maja

This is an indicator that your file is not correctly formatted. Please open it in notepad and check the file only has one row for column headers and they are also separated by commas and not other characters.

You can also export an example file from Shopify and use it as a template to then reimport. https://help.shopify.com/en/manual/migrating-to-shopify/transporter-app/csv-customers

File format should also be UTF-8.

Regards

Tom

Moomys
5 0 0

Does it have to have customers first, last name and all of that? I only have emails. 

I tried doing what you suggested, and it still doesn't work. 

productsync
Shopify Partner
740 38 159

Hi Maja

I have attached the file from Shopify but with all other columns removed so just emails. Imports no problem so please use it to add your emails to the file and then save correctly.

"Most spreadsheet applications have the ability to save CSV files in UTF-8 format with the Save As... or Export "

You can also use google drive to create a correctly formatted file and save as from it.

Regards

Tom

Moomys
5 0 0

Hi! 

So I used your template and uploaded all the emails to it, saved it in the CSV file but it's still giving me that same error. Is there an email I can email you at so you can see if the file is save correctly? 

Thank you! 

productsync
Shopify Partner
740 38 159

Hi

Just send the file to tom@channelup.com.au and I will take a look for you.

Regards

Tom

Lilith
Shopify Staff
603 73 185

Hi, @Moomys! I'd be happy to help out, could you show us a screenshot here of what that error looks like? It will help me determine the exact issue that you're having.

In the meantime, I have some general help here that can help resolve your issue.

File requirements

We have a guideline for using CSVs that you can refer to for any usage of the files. Remember that you can edit your CSVs in a spreadsheet and not just in comma lists. This is important to note as this is the easiest way to work with them.

All our CSVs will have requirements to meet in order to be read by the system. One of the important things about this is that no column headings should be added, removed, or changed in any way.

Also, please note that there is a limit to the size of the file.

Template

In our help center pages we do provide templates for CSV files as well. Here is the template that you should be using for customer data.

If you're wanting a bit more of a visual for the guides you can check out our YouTube video as well.

Quick Tip

While you're importing your customer data, I thought I'd mention that we have a great set of pages in our help center that can assist with migrating your contacts from Mailchimp to Shopify as well.

This will help you reduce the time and effort of syncing things up. It'll free up some time for you to focus on other things while setting things up.

Have you seen those help pages before?

I'd love to know how the sync process is going so far!

Lilith | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

Moomys
5 0 0

Hi Lilith, 

Here's what pops up for me. 

Thank you, 

Screen Shot 2021-10-28 at 10.11.34 PM.png

Lilith
Shopify Staff
603 73 185

@Moomys The file you're using for uploading should have these exact headers in this specific order. Remember that changing any of these headers in any small way will cause the column to be unrecognizable by the system.

Would you mind checking that your file has the headers exactly like this?

Lilith_0-1636164081796.png

Lilith | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog