How can I optimize search results for SKU numbers without dashes?

filimm
Visitor
2 0 0

I have products where SKU starts like bb-[a number here]. Is there a way to improve the search when the customer forget to put the dash?

Example

SKU is bb-600. When I search for bb600 doesn't return any results.

Replies 4 (4)

David_Weru
Shopify Partner
177 16 43

Hello, @filimm 

You could add that variation of the sku as an extra tag to the product.

If you'd like further assistance, please let me know.

filimm
Visitor
2 0 0

Thanks for your response and sorry for the delay to answer. One more question: is it possible to create new tags importing a spreadsheet ? (it's a lot of product)

David_Weru
Shopify Partner
177 16 43

Hello, @filimm 

You should be able to.  Just follow the formatting rules for the spreadsheet here, and add your tag to the comma-separated field in the appropriate column.

https://help.shopify.com/en/manual/products/import-export/using-csv#product-csv-file-format

If you'd like further assistance, please let me know.

Elias
Shopify Staff
2805 274 490

Hey, @filimm.

Elias here with Shopify Support. Thank you for reaching out.

As suggested by @David_Weru, you can add "bb600" or any other variations to the product's tags and customers will be able to search for the product when they forget the dash.

04-17-18359-99705

Alternatively, you can also consider using a third-party search app to improve the searchability for your store. Apps, like Product Filter & Search or Smart Product Filter & Search, include features that can help with instant suggestions, spellcheck, and typo-tolerance. If you need any assistance with these apps, you can always reach out to the developers directly through the contact information found in the Support section of their app pages. 

Do customers search by SKU often? Does adding other variations of the SKU to the product tags work for you?

Elias | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog