What does USPS invalid origin postal code mean in Shopify shipping?

Michellespiziri
Tourist
4 0 1

what does "USPS: Invalid origin postal code" mean when I go to print shipping Label?  

Replies 14 (14)

Moira
Shopify Staff
2040 223 323

Hey @Michellespiziri,

Welcome to the Shopify Community!

This error means that the zip code for your origin address is invalid (origin is referring to your personal address, not the customers). The formatting of addresses with apartment numbers can be especially particular, therefore as a first step towards troubleshooting this, please validate it using the online address validator tool linked below. This will ensure the address is entered exactly as USPS requires it to be.

If you still aren’t able to purchase it after using the validation tool and making any edits needed to the formatting, we’ll need to access your account in order to take a closer look at it for you. At this time, we’re not able to provide account-specific support in the Shopify Community, but, we’d be happy to continue assisting you through live chat, email, or callback. Therefore, please visit https://bit.ly/3cJkx8V and log in to your account to create a support request.

In order to save some time so that the Support Advisor you speak with can help you as quickly as possible, please share this summary of your request at the beginning of your conversation:

I am attempting to purchase a USPS shipping label. I have validated the address using the UPS 
address validator, however I continue to receive an error message saying “USPS: Invalid origin postal code”. 

Tip: Communicating shipping speeds at checkout to your customers can help improve cart conversion, provide clarity and transparency, and increase consumer confidence. Learn more about how to add shipping speeds directly from your Shopify Admin. Then have a read of this blog post that goes over shipping strategies to increase conversions and profitability.

Moira | Social Care @ Shopify
- Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know!
- Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
- To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

Michellespiziri
Tourist
4 0 1

this still isn't working.  maybe because its from my home address? i'm not a brick and mortar.  

Moira
Shopify Staff
2040 223 323

@Michellespiziri 

Yes, "invalid origin" is referring to the address you are sending from which is your home address. Have you tried calling your local USPS to check whether pickup is available from your address? You may need to pop into your local post shop to see why your address is appearing invalid. 

Here is the USPS guide on what types of mail are eligible for pickup:

Is your zip code new, by any chance? I have seen instances when new zip codes are created, which leads to a bit of confusion with postal services.  

Michellespiziri
Tourist
4 0 1

i figured this out! i had a lot of incomplete areas I needed to address - thanks 

Moira
Shopify Staff
2040 223 323

That's fantastic @Michellespiziri! Don't hesitate to reach back out if you require any further assistance as you continue to work on your store. 

All the best,

samirben
Visitor
1 0 0

What did you do to solve it ?

Moira
Shopify Staff
2040 223 323

Are you having a similar issue @samirben? Ensure all address details have been entered as stated here:

bellaluxxboutiq
Tourist
6 0 1

I am having the very same issue. What areas specifically did you have to address?

Moira
Shopify Staff
2040 223 323

Hey @bellaluxxboutiq, are you seeing an "invalid origin"  error also? this is referring to the address you are sending from which is your home address.

Madridglow
Visitor
2 0 0

Which areas were not incomplete? I’m getting the “USPS :invalid origin postal code shopify”  when trying to print my labels

Madridglow
Visitor
2 0 0

@Michellespiziri  hey what did you do when you got the USPS invalid origin post all code error?

CSS
Visitor
1 0 0

Where can I change the invalid post code at?

Michellespiziri
Tourist
4 0 1

I messaged support and they walked me through everything.  I believe if I can remember that I missed an area of importance.  check all your settings again.  make sure you're not. a PO Box.. but chat support was very helpful.  good luck!

Moira
Shopify Staff
2040 223 323

@CSS @Madridglow 

Were you able to resolve this through our live chat support? If not, I'd be happy to provide some additional suggestions!

Look forward to hearing from you,