FROM CACHE - en_header

Locally served theme "Online editor customizations" not saving on the template json

icristi
Tourist
4 0 2

I have a theme locally connected to git and to the actual store. Everything worked fine I can do code edits and can commit to git and send to the store. I just found one issue and I am curious if this is just my case or some sort of bug. Whenever I do theme customizations in the "locally" generated "customize editor" (the merchant customize dashboard) when I save, nothing changes in my theme files locally (no template JSON is generated) so there is nothing to commit to git and to send to the store. The changes I do in the editor show on the screen but it seems like there is no JSON generated, at least not in my theme files. 

Any ideas on how I can push the customizations or pull them to my local version? 

Thank you so much!

Replies 2 (2)
akash777
Tourist
3 0 0

It's the same Issue with me I'm really confused

icristi
Tourist
4 0 2

I actually found a workaround and I think this is no bug, it's actually a safety measure of some sort, anyways I see it like that. So what I do now is I go and customize the section/ page as I wish in Theme/ customize and when I am satisfied I am going to the three dots on top of the customize dash and then choose edit code. I am then redirected to the theme's code where I am looking for the specific json template, I copy what was populated in there by the customize dash and paste it into my local json template on my local dev environment. Once I save, I commit and push it with git to origin.

It is actually better for me to have it this way in case the merchant is making changes of their own in the live theme I will not overwrite them by my git push.

If anyone has a better way of dealing with this please share. Until then Ill be doing it this way. 🙂

icristi_0-1634901708694.png