Solved

Can metafields be utilized for customer data collection during Shopify checkout?

Lars_D
Tourist
3 0 1

Can Shopify metafields be used as customer data extension during checkout? In case it works i would like to collect additional data to the standard adress fields. I did not find any documentation - so i guess it does not work? If not - is there another solution to gather additional customer's data (approx 10 fields) during checkout?

Thanks in advance,

Lars

Accepted Solution (1)
drakedev
Shopify Partner
685 148 229

This is an accepted solution.

Ah ok, understood. Let's see in future, I hope they will extend the checkout customization possibilities to more plans.

If my answer was helpful click Like to say thanks
If the problem is solved remember to click Accept Solution
Shopify/Shopify Plus custom development: You can hire me for simple and/or complex tasks.

View solution in original post

Replies 9 (9)

drakedev
Shopify Partner
685 148 229

Hi @Lars_D , welcome to Shopify Community.

Yes, it is possible by implementing some custom code, but unfortunately at the moment this possibility is available only on Shopify Plus plans.

Shopify/Shopify Plus custom development: You can hire me for simple and/or complex tasks.
Lars_D
Tourist
3 0 1

Hello @drakedev - thanks for your quick answer. I've found a solution to solve the customers request with this App: https://apps.shopify.com/customr

Works pretty well and the customers data is also stored in Shopify's metafields.

Best, Lars

drakedev
Shopify Partner
685 148 229

Interesting, does it work during the checkout process?

Lars_D
Tourist
3 0 1

Unfortunately not, but as a part of the checkout we will force login or registration before ordering. During the checkout the customers "head" data will be displayed and this will hopefully work for the customer.

I was hoping that the new shopify 2.0 will support the feature to add additional fields for the checkout, as far i did understand from Tobis explanation during the last Shopify Unite.

Best, Lars

drakedev
Shopify Partner
685 148 229

This is an accepted solution.

Ah ok, understood. Let's see in future, I hope they will extend the checkout customization possibilities to more plans.

Tira
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1260 90 223

Hey, @Lars_D

Tira here to help.

Thanks for reaching out and I appreciate that you’ve done some research on metafields. Thanks @drakedev for chiming in with your insight, it's much appreciated!

I wanted to add a few more thoughts:

Metafields enable you to customize the functionality and appearance of your Shopify store by letting you save specialized information that isn't usually captured in the Shopify admin. You can use metafields for internal tracking, or to display specialized information on your online store in a variety of ways. For example, a candle seller might want to display a burn time for candles on their product pages, while a grocery store might want to display a product expiration date for canned goods. Other examples of specialized information include the following:

• part numbers
  • color swatches
  • launch dates
  • related products
  • blog post summaries
  • files for download

You can add metafields to your products, collections, customers, orders, and other parts of your store, either directly from your Shopify admin or by using an app from the Shopify App Store.

You can learn more about them in our help docs here: Metafields. Based on this information, you wouldn't be able to add metafields to your checkout as @drakedev noted earlier.

I’m happy to see that you’ve found a solution through an app, @Lars_D. If you want another option, you may want to check out our tutorial from the Shopify Community on getting customization for products through product pages. As this is an advanced tutorial, it would be outside our scope of Support. Should you have any questions, I recommend reaching out to a Shopify Expert or the Shopify Community for guidance. 

What kind of information are you looking to collect and add to checkout? If you could let me know what that is, I would be happy to forward your thoughts to our developers so that they are aware of how we can improve Shopify for you and all of our merchants!

I look forward to hearing from you,

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

QKDogsHilandAMB
Visitor
2 0 1

Hi Tira! This response was helpful. I don't know if Lars answered you privately, but here at QK we need to gather dog information when a customer signs up for an event. I created three fields: Dog's Name, Breed, Age. I'm spending a tremendous amount of time reading and watching tutorials trying to figure out how to put those fields in checkout. 🙂 Currently we email the customer after the sale.

Thank you for passing this on to your development team!

TurboMoran
Visitor
3 0 0

We are interested in the same thing QK Dogs. Have you found a solution yet?

QKDogsHilandAMB
Visitor
2 0 1

Hi TurboMoran! Metafields didn't work for what we needed, so we started using the app "Variant Option Product Options". That gives us exactly what we need, and it's FREE! 

I hope it helps you. GOOD LUCK! 🙂