FROM CACHE - en_header

Metafields : "Product reference" type not allowing to add more than one product

devenini
2 0 11

Hello, I created a fresh new development store to test new Shopify built-in metafields in the admin.

I created a metafield definition with the "Product reference" type. The doc suggests that I would be able to add more than one product :

"On the product that you want to edit, find the product reference metafield and then click Select product or Select products. Select one or more products from the list."

devenini_0-1626807288564.png

However, when I try to add Products from the product page, it seems I can only add 1.

devenini_1-1626807363346.png

devenini_2-1626807387140.png

Is there any way to link multiple products on a metafield defined from the admin?

Replies 10 (10)
bchayka
2 0 1

Yes, same issue here, please help!!!!

lucentdecors
Excursionist
14 0 6

I am glad that I didn't misinterpret that help article. I am looking for a solution to this requirement as well. Some help is appreciated.

However, there is a workaround for this requirement (which is not ideal but should do the job). 

Workaround solution:

1. Create 1 namespace for the product reference (e.g.) itemref
  2. Create 1 key each for the products to be linked (e.g.) Assuming there are 3 linked products, the key could be P1, P2 & P3
  3. Select 1 product for each metafield and add these metafields individually through the store/theme editor or through the code.

This is not ideal as we are creating more metafields and added maintenance. 

Regards

Raj

Juan_Mingo
Tourist
5 0 0

Yes, same issue here, trying to create a "shop the look" section and they need to select more than 1 product
for now just asking the client to add a list of handles separated by a coma, no ideal but it works

Please Shopify fix this 

jSun
Tourist
6 0 7

Running into the same issue here. My use case is a single field where the client can add multiple related products. Would really like this to be addressed before setting up multiple metafields to handle each instance of a related product.

Hilary
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
551 78 113

Hello everyone, thanks for starting and joining this thread. Happy to jump in and address this issue, we really appreciate you bringing this to our attention. 

As you've noticed, the current help document does not reflect accurate information about what is available in the admin - currently only one product reference is supported. We do apologize for this confusion and inconvenience. We are working on having this documentation updated, and you will see this change reflected very soon. 

I have spoken with our development team on this topic, and while there are no suggested workarounds to mention at this time, our team can confirm that multi-select product references are coming later this year. While we can't confirm an exact timeline, they are coming! 

Thank you again for bringing this to our attention. Hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any questions. 

Hilary | Community Manager @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

TILTIL
Tourist
4 0 11

Any updates on this? Is it still on the roadmap for this year?

TILTIL
Tourist
4 0 11
ezekielrochat
1 0 2
mngarwood
Shopify Partner
1 0 2

Adding to the voices here - I also need this feature and am having to use a workaround in the meantime. Is this still in development? The reply implied this would be ready by end of 2021, but I'm still seeing the restriction to select 1 product in the product editor.