Solved

Metaobject field being returned as a string instead of an array.

s40er
Tourist
3 1 2

I have a metaobject that has a field called color of type color that is a list of values.   In liquid the output of this field looks to be an array but .size was always returning null and following code would not work.

{%- assign swatch = shop.metaobjects.material_colors[material_value_downcase] -%}
{%- if swatch.color.size == 1 -%}

When I output the value of {{ swatch.color }}, it displays
["#00000","#3d7fa1"]

I have solved my problem by replacing text and splitting the string to make an array, but this seems like a hack as I would expect the list of items to be returned as an array in the first place.   Should this be reported as a bug?

{% assign colors = swatch.color | replace: ' ', '' | replace: '[', '' | replace: ']', '' | replace: '"', '' | split: ',' %}
Accepted Solution (1)

s40er
Tourist
3 1 2

This is an accepted solution.

I have finally solved this issue with out the need to use split.   When retrieving data from a field that is a list of values,  you need to add .value to the end.     

I have a metaobjects called swatch_colors that has a field color that is a list of values.

s40er_0-1684860267308.png

When I tried to get the array of colors with this code:

{%- assign swatch = shop.metaobjects.swatch_colors[color_value_downcase] -%}
{%- assign colors = swatch.color -%}
{%- if colors.size < 1 -%}

'colors' would equal a string that looked like:

["#00000","#3d7fa1"]

and 'colors.size' would just return null

The solution is to retrieve it with .value then colors is a proper array and .size works.

{%- assign colors = swatch.color.value -%}

View solution in original post

Replies 3 (3)

made4Uo
Shopify Partner
3804 713 1124

Hi @s40er,

The output of this is an array. 

{%- assign swatch = shop.metaobjects.material_colors[material_value_downcase] -%}

To call the elements inside the array, you need a forloop. The {{ color }} will return a string

{% for color in swatch %}
{{ color }}
{% endfor %}

Regarding the size, you are asking a size to a variable that is not an array. If you want to use the size of color in your metaobjects, please use the code instead

{% if swatch.size == 1 %}
Your code here
{% endif %}

Volunteering to assist you!  Likes and Accept as Solution  is highly appreciated.✌
Coffee fuels my dedication. If helpful, a small Coffee Tip would be greatly appreciated.
Need EXPERIENCED Shopify developer without breaking the bank?
Hire us at Made4Uo.com for quick replies.
Stay in control and maintain your security by avoiding unnecessary store access!
s40er
Tourist
3 1 2

@made4Uo ,     Thanks for the quick reply, but I tested and confirmed your solution is not valid as swatch is not an array and is the metaobject with the following properties.  Name - single line text, and color which is a list of values.  

i.e. swatch = { name: "Black and Green",  color: ["#00000", "#3C9C3C"] }

the value of swatch.color when displayed to the screen looks like a valid array in any other coding language, but is not working as an array in Liquid and is just text and that's my issue.  

s40er_0-1683314416592.png

s40er
Tourist
3 1 2

This is an accepted solution.

I have finally solved this issue with out the need to use split.   When retrieving data from a field that is a list of values,  you need to add .value to the end.     

I have a metaobjects called swatch_colors that has a field color that is a list of values.

s40er_0-1684860267308.png

When I tried to get the array of colors with this code:

{%- assign colors = swatch.color -%}

'colors' would equal a string that looked like:

["#00000","#3d7fa1"]

and 'colors.size' would just return null

The solution is to retrieve it with .value then colors is a proper array and .size works.

{%- assign colors = swatch.color.value -%}