Solved

Minimal theme: Is it possible to only feature the newest single product from a collection?

earthtoplanet
Explorer
46 6 8

Hello, I'm wondering if the feature I'm searching for is possible to configure with a code tweak, or perhaps there's a free app out there that I was not able to locate.

I'm a cartoonist and am using my Shopify site to both sell art prints as well as display my comics. As I build out the home page experience, I'd like to only show the newest product (i.e., cartoon) from one collection: https://earthtoplanet.com/collections/cartoons

The closest feature is the Featured Collection section, though the fewest number of products that can be displayed is three. Is it possible to tweak the code for that particular section to limit its display to one?

I know there is also the Featured Product section, though that requires manually updating the product. Since I upload new cartoons frequently, I'm looking for a solution which would display the newest product automatically from my cartoon collection automatically. Maybe I could tweak the code for that section to somehow automatically pull the newest addition to the Cartoon collection?

Appreciate the help!

Accepted Solution (1)
earthtoplanet
Explorer
46 6 8

This is an accepted solution.

I ended up solving this by switching themes from Minimal to Dawn. I then created a Featured Collection on my homepage which I changed in the code to only show one product:

1. Edit code
  2. Sections/featured-collection.liquid
  3. Changed "min" from 2 to 1 and "step" from 2 to 1
    {
      "type": "range",
      "id": "products_to_show",
      "min": 1,
      "max": 12,
      "step": 1,
      "default": 4,
      "label": "t:sections.featured-collection.settings.products_to_show.label"
    },

View solution in original post

Replies 3 (3)

kriszti
Shopify Partner
60 0 7

Hi,

Create a new Collection. Set it up so that the Condition is to include only products tagged with 'new'  

Only have your current, newest cartoon tagged with 'new'... it will be the only product added to that Collection.  Product tagging can be done in the product list section, you dont' even have to open the product.

Display the new Collection on your home page.

earthtoplanet
Explorer
46 6 8

That's a good backup plan. Thanks @kriszti 

I am still hoping to find a completely automatic solution which won't require me to add (and remove) the "new" tag every time I add a new product.

earthtoplanet
Explorer
46 6 8

This is an accepted solution.

I ended up solving this by switching themes from Minimal to Dawn. I then created a Featured Collection on my homepage which I changed in the code to only show one product:

1. Edit code
  2. Sections/featured-collection.liquid
  3. Changed "min" from 2 to 1 and "step" from 2 to 1
    {
      "type": "range",
      "id": "products_to_show",
      "min": 1,
      "max": 12,
      "step": 1,
      "default": 4,
      "label": "t:sections.featured-collection.settings.products_to_show.label"
    },