My 15 year old son's account needs to be closed

msr0459
Visitor
2 0 0

My 15 year old son opened a $1 trial period account without my knowledge. He said that after a couple of months he noticed it was "deactivated", so he was no longer able to log on to cancel the upcoming "permanent" subscription. He then noticed that his checking account was charged $40, which shouldn't have happened, since the account was already deactivated.  He says he's already tried to contact someone via the help center, but no response back.

Since it's apparently impossible to get in touch with a customer service rep from Shopify, could someone please help me get his account permanently closed/cancelled, and hopefully get his $40 back?  

Replies 3 (3)

Imogen
Shopify Staff
1808 206 327

Hi there, @msr0459. Thanks for taking the time to reach out to the Shopify Community today with your billing situation here. My name is Imogen. It's good to meet you.

Thanks for outlining the situation for us. If a subscription is active, then that means that the store with the active subscription is also active, and should be able to be logged into in order to cancel the subscription, and prevent any future charges. It's likely that the store wasn't deactivated as it should have been if you've continued to receive bills related to it. If you are able to login to the store, you can use the steps from this help document here to get the subscription cancelled. If you're unable to login to the shop, or login to the account that the shop belongs to, refer to the steps below this paragraph.

As we're unable to authenticate users here in the Community, I'm unable to access your account, or take any actions in relation to the account. In situations like these, it's best that you connected with our Authenticated Support Team via our Help Center. Use this link to access the Help Center. From there, let out AI Assistant know about the situation, and that you would like to cancel a subscription for a store you cannot login to, and that you would like to receive a refund, as well. It will provide you with a prompt to get connected with our Accounts Team. Use that prompt, and relay this information to our Accounts Team, including any invoice numbers you have in relation to the payment. They'll be able to work on getting you authenticated, tracking down the account, and resolving this with you.

Imogen | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

msr0459
Visitor
2 0 0

The links will not open on my end. My son says he's tried to cancel, but keeps getting a message that he cannot because of an unpaid bill. He's now been charged once, and the auto draft tried again, but he'd already purposely depleted his checking account so there wouldn't be enough funds for the draft, thinking that would resolve this. He's now gone back to the help center, and put in a request to chat with a support advisor.  This is getting out of hand quickly. 

Shay
Shopify Staff
2968 460 609

Thanks for following up with us about this. It sounds like your son has been able to access our Help Center and connect with our authenticated chat support team. If he wasn't able to connect yet, you can open the AI chat window in our Help Center and type "contact support" to get that initiated. Our chat support would be happy to review this and escalate to the appropriate team for further support. 

For transparency on the billing fees - Generally speaking you will not be able to close a store if there is a pending bill on the account. The pending bill will attempt multiple times over the course of 28 days to try and resolve. If after that period of time the bill is not paid the store will automatically be moved to a frozen state (same as being deactivated, just by our system and not the account owner). All billing will stop at that time. 

Our chat support team will be happy to help further with this. 

Shay | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog