Need help with Java script

SureBuy
Excursionist
47 2 11

I'm looking to dynamically update the headings of products on my Shopify store based on a keyword extracted from a custom URL parameter. The custom URL is generated from Google Ads, and I want the script to read the keyword from a specific parameter (e.g., utm_content). I've tried the following JavaScript code, but it doesn't seem to work. Could you please review the code and provide any insights or improvements? I tried this example code:

 

<script>
  document.addEventListener("DOMContentLoaded", function() {
    // Get the current URL
    var currentURL = window.location.href;

    // Extract the keyword from the utm_content parameter
    var keyword = getParameterByName('utm_content', currentURL);

    // Update the product headings
    var productHeadings = document.querySelectorAll('.product-title');
    productHeadings.forEach(function(heading) {
      var originalText = heading.innerText;
      heading.innerText = originalText + ' {' + keyword + '}';
    });

    // Function to get URL parameters by name
    function getParameterByName(name, url) {
      name = name.replace(/[\[\]]/g, '\\$&');
      var regex = new RegExp('[?&]' + name + '(=([^&#]*)|&|#|$)'),
          results = regex.exec(url);
      if (!results) return null;
      if (!results[2]) return '';
      return decodeURIComponent(results[2].replace(/\+/g, ' '));
    }
  });
</script>

 

 

Any assistance or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

Reply 1 (1)

SureBuy
Excursionist
47 2 11

I actually got it to work  with this:

<script>
document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', function() {
// Function to get UTM parameter from URL
function getUTMParameter(name) {
const urlParams = new URLSearchParams(window.location.search);
return urlParams.get(name);
}

// Get the 'utm_content' parameter from the URL
const keyword = getUTMParameter('utm_content');

// Check if the keyword is present and update the product title
if (keyword) {
const titleElement = document.querySelector('.product__title'); // Adjust the selector accordingly
if (titleElement) {
const originalTitle = titleElement.textContent;

// Check if the title hasn't been modified already
if (!originalTitle.includes(keyword)) {
// Create a new h1 element, update its content, and replace the existing title element
const newTitleElement = document.createElement('h1');
newTitleElement.textContent = originalTitle + ' - ' + keyword;
titleElement.parentNode.replaceChild(newTitleElement, titleElement);
}
}
}
});
</script>

But now it shows the title twice and then the keyword. Like this: Blue ball Blue ball keyword1